Spidweb

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Nope. It's not the capital letter that makes the difference in meaning; it's the context.

Except that a capital letter CAN provide meaning that context alone omits.
No. For that to be true we would need to pronounce capital letters differently from lowercase letters.

Though I guess you have a point that capitalization can sometimes disambiguate in the lack of context.

Unless you're suggesting that disambiguation does not involve specifying meaning, I think you just conceded the point you said "no" to above.

But yeah -- speaking is just one modality of language. Meaning is not restricted to spoken language, or we wouldn't be able to read books. Spoken and written language typically present identical meaning as far as words are concerned, but each presents additional peripherals that the other lacks. Written language includes capitalization, punctuation, variation in font and script (think comic books), while spoken language includes prosody, voice, and so on.

So really what you are asserting is "capitalization does not impact meaning in spoken language" -- and that's true. It's also about as meaningful as saying "shoe size does not impact meaning in spoken language."

You're totally right, Slarty. Though, for what it's worth, a lot of qualities of written language can be interpreted in terms of features of spoken language. (Italics, perhaps, or, on the Internet, the use of <sarcasm> tags or something, could be effectively prosodic features. They certainly are as analogous to spoken prosody as certain qualities of signs in ASL can be said to be.)

Originally Posted By: Velzan
Perhaps instead of double post, You could have made it all one big post.

my language counts.

Sign Language

Written language

Body Language.

Foreign Language

Spoken Language..

So if your language is Not spoken, written, signed, or used bodily.... May I inquire on how you communicate?

Most may not even apply to this thread but Wth.

• 3 weeks later...

Obliged. (Very much indeed - although off-topicness is a typical and very likeable feature of many spiderweb-threads…)

Originally Posted By: E-Rose
this champ looks like Napoleon: http://spidweb.com/images/avadon/AvInventory.jpg
I say he rather looks like Mister Bean

2. Is there any more information on Avadon except for what is found on the official Spiderweb Page?

Originally Posted By: Niemand
There's this interview which was linked to from the SW News page, although I'd guess its contents have probably been discussed in this forum somewhere, so it may not be new to you even if you haven't read it.

Yeah, that got discussed in the Avadon Develpoer Diary thread IIRC. It's still interesting, and I believe that that was the first place he disclosed more-or-less the "plot"

Wow, yeah thanks!

Didn't find time to read the whole Avadon Develpoer Diary yet, after having spent too much time reading this one during working hours. whistleblush

I was quite surprised to find such an active forum concerning the new game at this point of time already.

Well, given the variety of topics actually discussed…

I like Randomizer's Diary of a Player Character.

That leads me to the question if beta testing will be officially announced and offered in the forum again?

Originally Posted By: Tcheedchee
That leads me to the question if beta testing will be officially announced and offered in the forum again?

I talked to Jeff and beta testing isn't starting for a few more months. Jeff usually posts the announcement in the News section of the Spiderweb Games site and someone posts a link here.

Anyway, yeah, those items were odd. I never did figure out what some of them did.
I think the Xian items' weirdness was their point, since most of them are fairly useless except to make the game more interesting. There's a list of them at Drakefyre's Demense. It lists their names, what they're for, and how to get them.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Which has worked out oddly for Spiderweb. Exile was loved. Nethergate is loved, although I don't remember its contemporary reception. Avernum was mostly disliked by those hating it as a remake. Geneforge was embraced warmly until the games started getting repetitive. A4 took flak for rehashing A3, but A5 and A6 seem to have done fine.

But everyone still wants Exile back.

—Alorael, who wonders whether he will be able to gripe that Avadon is okay, but what he really wants is more Nethergate. Maybe a simple image post to that effect.

Two things I would like to see improved are:

1. The numpad enter working (euivelant to pressing ok in messages)

2. The auto-walker's range extended (unless the plan is to allow the game to also work on a pentium 1 or a 486)

A thing I would like to see implemented is that anything named Tower will have more than a ground floor a basement and a first floor. Such structures are usually referred to as a building or a house not a tower.

Towers are usually defined by height, not by number of floors. Make the staircase between the first and second floor long enough and it qualifies! More importantly, the 2D engine's limitations mean that areas generally work better and are more fun if they sprawl horizontally, not vertically. That could mean no towers, but towers are a staple of fantasy. Self-respecting wizards really can't set up shop anywhere else.

—Alorael, who was recently struck by curiosity over what Jeff would do if given a large budget with which to hire a team and make a game happen as lead designer and producer rather than one-man show. Could Jeff make mainstream blockbusters if given more time, more manpower, and top-notch graphics and audio? He's not sure Jeff has the managerial skills to pull it off, but he certainly thinks Jeff (and company) could compete.

• 4 weeks later...

honestly......geneforge was the masterpeice.........................i was wondering if in avadon u can summon or create stuff.....................by the way couldnt we get a stuff like a fortress to manage..................and like we could manage it put mages and hopefully defend it..............it would be nice

Originally Posted By: owen ben singano uachave
and may i ask why rebels/ traskovites/sholai have russian names........i mean im russian and i kind of disagree a bit with it

He wanted the Sholai to seem foreign, so he gave them names from a foreign language. There's not much more to it than that.

(What's a Russian doing in Mozambique, anyway?)

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: owen ben singano uachave
and may i ask why rebels/ traskovites/sholai have russian names........i mean im russian and i kind of disagree a bit with it

He wanted the Sholai to seem foreign, so he gave them names from a foreign language. There's not much more to it than that.

There's a little bit more to it than that -- the vast majority of Sholai names in G1 (and I think in the rest of the games, although there are far fewer Sholai) are all named after characters in Chekhov's works -- many from _Three Sisters_. Some of Chekhov's writings are very much in key with the atmosphere of Geneforge -- _Ostrov Sakhalin_ comes to mind -- so I imagine his writing served as an inspiration to Jeff.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: IJBall
Originally Posted By: Chargin'Chuck
I sure hope this new game has a talking skull in it. If there's one thing that'd influence me into purchasing this game on its release, it'd be that.

I agree with this post.

Especially if it's a flaming talking skull. grin
with ruby encrusted eye sockets