Procrastination

Rowen

I plan homework during school hours. For the average math paper, I've figured out that I can do 2 problems in the 4 minutes on my way to class, 3 if I don't have to go to my locker. English essay's are done on the bus, naturally. When I have study hall (I only have one after the schedule shift of the new quarter frown ), I plan 3 journal entries, a Spanish assignment, and a DBQ all during 40 minutes. I've yet to figure out my success rate. Been busy. (:p)

Research papers take a while to do, so I always make sure that I have the entire Sunday off when I get back to school to do the writing, the tri-board, and the research itself (sometimes in that order, believe it or not.)

Chores are usually procrastinated by finding other convenient activities outside to do ("Hey look! It's that dude that text me a minute ago. I better go see how he's doing"), while other times I can sneak on the computer without being noticed. For instance, I was asked to put the dished into the dish washer a few moments ago, before my mom went to go pick up my grandma. It may have already been done, had I not found this topic to conveniently reply to. Appreciate it.

Finally, to answer your question, pretty much all day.

It's highly dependent on how excited I am about an assignment and how clear a mental picture I have of what I'll do to carry it out.

Boring work gets deferred until the last minute, even if it's more important than the other things I work on in the meantime, indeed, this is one of my preferred techniques: pretend that I have no knowledge of actual priorities and delay boring work by spending time on more interesting but less important work. I can't be simply criticized for laziness since I am working on something that must be done.

Clarity of a project can be tricky. I often do no (if it's a hobby project of my own) or very little (if it's a project actually required for work or school) work on a project if I either don't know how to proceed or I don't know of a way that I consider elegant enough. There has to be a bit of a challenge, though, or the assignment's interest value falls drastically, and it may be covered under the 'boring work' rule above.

Quote:
If no one answers then I will have a very strong answer.

I assume you mean that you would then assume that we procrastinate a great deal, and so never got around to answering? This wouldn't really be a correct conclusion, as it would be based on the assumption that we intended to answer at all. In addition, the fact that I am answering fairly promptly (as soon as I saw the question) is actually indicative of procrastination, because it means I'm not preparing my presentation for tomorrow afternoon. Perhaps this latter interpretation is what you meant, and so a lack of responses would indicate that we, the potential respondents, procrastinate relatively little, and were all off doing more important things than posting on an internet forum.

Procrastination isn't something you grow out of. You'll still have lots of time to deal with procrastination later, when you've got a mortgage and a career. So there's no need to worry too much about it now.

But I guess the good news is that any progress you make in high school, on either suppressing procrastination or managing to somehow make it work, will be useful lifelong. If you can find even the odd little trick to make it less of a problem, or at least make it lead to less stress, it'll be a keeper. Let me know, okay?

Originally Posted By: Niemand

I assume you mean that you would then assume that we procrastinate a great deal, and so never got around to answering? This wouldn't really be a correct conclusion

It would for me - I'm completely hopeless. My English teacher used to say to me 'procrastination is the time-waster of the Soul'. And I thought he was joking...

Originally Posted By: waterplant
Originally Posted By: Niemand

I assume you mean that you would then assume that we procrastinate a great deal, and so never got around to answering? This wouldn't really be a correct conclusion

It would for me - I'm completely hopeless. My English teacher used to say to me 'procrastination is the time-waster of the Soul'. And I thought he was joking...

Boo! You two have gone and ruined the obvious joke. Dikiyoba didn't even get the chance to procrastinate on telling it. tongue

It depends on the class for me. I rarely procrastinate with Calculus homework (or Contemporary History for that matter), but I almost always procrastinate on Economics and Literature homework. For me, that means I do it the day before it's due (or the actual due date with Econ).

I have two categories: things I will do immediately, or at least as soon as I plan to do them, and things I will put off indefinitely. Once something is in the latter category, the longer it is put off the longer it is likely to be put off.

—Alorael, who of course excludes the category of things with hard deadlines, which are often done immediately before said deadline. He's working on getting better. He's been working on it for a while. It's in category one, but it has proven difficult.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I almost always procrastinate on Economics and Literature homework. For me, that means I do it the day before it's due (or the actual due date with Econ).
I can't say I blame you for either subject. The only use I've ever seen for economics is as a means to employ economists and economics teachers, and I got virtually nothing out of the study of literature except an aversion to literature.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Mm, I actually like both classes, but the homework we get isn't that great (except for the reading).
Suit yourself, we all have a right to have preferences.

Back in the day, my literature homework could be summed up as, "Read this long and boring piece of great literature, and write an equally long and boring essay about it."

And truth be told, I never took economics, but have learned enough about it since I ended my formal education to sum up the entire subject in a few sentences.

Maybe if I had heard the phrase, "Because the book says so!" a lot less often, then I might not be so cynical towards most subjects.
Originally Posted By: Xelgion
I find that last minute panic is what gives the best work results with me.
Same here, but that attitude nearly got me suspended on more than one occasion.

I spend about two and a half months (and counting!) procrastinating.

But homework wise I usually decide that I'll do all of it "in a bit", which varies from two to four hours after the given time, and when the time comes I only do half of it, putting the rest off until the class before it's due.

Music usually helps me, especially when doing something dreary and repetitive (like math problems).

I'm a big crammer. I procrastinate on studying, homework, eating, papers, and the likes. They're usually done the day before, unless the assignment is particularly interesting (which is usually a history assignment). And yet I have a 3.9 average. I love life. smile

~Artemis and homework. I don't like homework. Homework is essential to learning what I need to learn, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Quote:
There's always edible paper, used to have that when I was a kid. Really, the only practical use I ever got out of it was eating it.

Negative. There was that food coloring ink pen that you could use to write "secret notes" (which really weren't that useful, considering 9 year olds don't have any worthwhile secrets) and eat them afterwards. I didn't like the taste of the ink, so I took stacks of edible paper by the dozens (particularly the blue ones) and crammed them into my mouth.

~Artemis and secrets. Secrets are fun to keep, but even funer to tell. But I don't tell.

I only chew on pens that I've borrowed. I don't like to buy my own, and I can take the moral high ground of sheepishly offering to return it and getting a hasty demurral.

—Alorael, who suggests lending cheap and trivial items that you nonetheless want returned only if you get a quarter as collateral. They're more likely to return your stuff, or you get a quarter. Win-win!

Originally Posted By: Sedate and Serious. (!Slarty)

—Alorael, who suggests lending cheap and trivial items that you nonetheless want returned only if you get a quarter as collateral. They're more likely to return your stuff, or you get a quarter. Win-win!

My trick to do this is that I keep the cap. Capless pens are pretty much useless, so it insures that it is either returned, or the thief goes insane looking for the cap.