Scenario beta

Metatron

You'll probably want more than one beta tester (on both Mac and Windows) in case of OS-specific weirdness, disappearing or slow testers, and just because it's good to have lots of eyes on it. It depends on how large your scenario is. If it's short, 3-4 will be plenty. If it's long, you'll probably want another person or two.

And yeah, images are disabled. Normally, mods will add them in if you request it, but yours are large enough that I'm going to leave them as links.

Oh, and Dikiyoba will gladly test your scenario if you decide you want Windows testers as well. If you just want to go with 1 Mac tester, that's fine.

I use a Mac and will be happy to test for you, and do graphics conversion.

Email: niemandcw(at)gmail(dot)com

I would second the suggestion of having at least one tester on each platform, particularly as it's just good to have several people out to spot problems. It helps that different people often have different playing styles, and may try out things that otherwise go unnoticed.

Okay, I've made a couple minor changes. Thanks Duck, and everyone who's still testing.

Now, I've been having problems getting dialog to display. For example, this character here:

Code:
begintalknode 49;	state = 27;	personality = 17;	nextstate = 28;	condition = 1;	question = "Portia";	text1 = "This woman appears to run the local tavern. She waves at you. _I'm Portia, I run the local tavern. If you need anything, just shout._";begintalknode 50;	state = 28;	personality = 17;	nextstate = 28;	condition = 1;	question = "We'd like a room. (10 coins)";	text1 = "You spend a restful night in a decent bed and wake up feeling refreshed. Time to go kill something.";	code =		change_coins(-10);		revive_party();		//teleport_party(48,45,1);	break;begintalknode 51;	state = 28;	personality = 17;	nextstate = 28;	condition = 1;	question = "We'd like a meal. (5 coins)";	text1 = "After a pleasant meal, you get up again. It's time to keep moving.";	code = 		change_coins(-5);	break;

After beginning dialog with the character at node 49, node 50 displays but node 51 doesn't. It's the darnedest thing.

Your problem is, I think, that you have a couple of nodes defined twice, and in the latter definition is overwriting the earlier. Nodes 9, 51, and 57 may be affected, according to alint.

EDIT: It may be worth noting that you should be able to entirely omit the condition lines for nodes which you don't want to make conditional.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
Your problem is, I think, that you have a couple of nodes defined twice, and in the latter definition is overwriting the earlier. Nodes 9, 51, and 57 may be affected, according to alint.

Wow. That makes sense. Silly me.
Quote:
EDIT: It may be worth noting that you should be able to entirely omit the condition lines for nodes which you don't want to make conditional.

omg wat. That sounds like the sort of thing that's mentioned in the BoASE documentation... speaking of which, where can I find the BoA Scenario Editor documentation? I remember I had it, but I can't find it anymore.

It's included in the official editor download from Spiderweb. (Bizarrely, the current download includes it in both pdf and MS Word format. I'd have sworn that the latter used to not be there.)

In the documentation for the condition property itself Jeff gives the impression that it is mandatory, even though his own earlier examples don't include it. It also looks like he put it in for every node in his scenarios, a style mimicked by some designers, but not others; Kelandon does, but TM doesn't.

My inbox goes straight from beta e-mail 1 to 3, so if there was a 2 that I was supposed to get, it must have been eaten by whatever horrible Internet monster eats e-mails.

Also, since you've made some changes and I haven't started making an exhaustive list of bugs/oddities/questions yet, I wouldn't mind having an updated version. It would save us both some work.

Dikiyoba just sent you a brief initial report, though.

Okay, I'm pleased with the testing and I'm preparing to release the scenario. If I understand correctly, I submit the scenario with the following information? (Thanks Duck!)

Name

Version number

Level recommendation

Keywords

And I submit everything in this thread?

For the "name" section, that would be the scenario's name, right? And then it gets put up on the Spiderweb CSR, which is the central ratings site now? If I want to avoid abusing the web space that I have, is there some other place that I can upload it?

For submission to the CSR: yes, I think that what you describe should be correct.

As far as making the scenario itself available goes, you could submit it to Spiderweb, as that is technically the official repository, but that's very slow and few designers bother. You can put it up on the Blades Forge if you don't have your own web space. The Shadow Vale Database and the TrueSite for Blades are two privately/individually operated scenario repositories, where your scenario will almost certainly be mirrored (unless you object strenuously) after you upload it somewhere else, and you could probably contact Jewels or Tyrannicus directly to ask one of them to put it up for you.

Thanks for the tips, Niemand. I don't think Tyranicus checks his e-mail very much; I originally tried to ask for testers at nethergate.net, but the board administrator had to approve my membership... which has not yet happened, as far as I know. I'll figure something out.

It's okay, Ephesos. I'm rushing along much faster than any of my testers, I think. Although there is still time to run through the scenario wink.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Originally Posted By: Shatter
I'm sorry I've utterly failed at beta-testing. I did open the scenario up earlier, and it looks good from what I can see, at any rate. Sorry!

Seconded. My apologies. frown

Oops. I finished the scenario yesterday, and was procrastinating sending out my report. Thirded.