4 of wich you prefer

I always found the story of A2 to be the most interesting, for some reason, though I'm not sure the gameplay is necessarily the best of those four. I do prefer the older engine in many areas over the newer one, though some of the revisions in the newer set I think are good improvements (like the first aid skill being useful).

I often find it odd when people say the A4 graphics are better; a dislike of the "improved" ones is actually one of the reasons why I prefer the old engine. I think the 3D-looking figures worked well in Geneforge, but for some reason I felt it looked very strange in Avernum. But I've generally been one to care much less about graphics in a game than gameplay. The biggest thing I think is really bizarre in the newer games is the way that spatial orientation plays out. There's no distinction between indoor and outdoor segments, so the distance between indoor areas is... well... unrealistic compared to the older games. >.<

Originally Posted By: Toby-Linn
A2 is my favorite, I love the storyline and I love how huge the game feels.

In the older games I love the distinction between the outdoors and towns because it made the game world feel more bigger.

Can't agree more.

Exile 2 was my first spiderweb game, more than 12 years ago, so my judgment may be biased. But I still think the storyline is the best of the serie.

Originally Posted By: dupe dupe dupe
Of those four, A2. Of the series, A2 or A6.

—Alorael, who will probably settle on A2 again for nostalgia's sake. He'll admit that A6 is a clearly objectively better game.

I must agree. I'm very impressed with A6 in every way, but A2 has so much charm to me. It really feels crazily vast. It's easy for me to get lost in all the water.

• 1 month later...

I'm tied between Av2 and Av3.

Avernum 2. Because of the first contact with Vahnatai (well, but if you consider the barrier cave in Av1...), the War as the main plotline.

But then comes Av3 with it's vast continent of Valorim. And the switching sides and the fact that Av3 is a closing of the trilogy.

I hate Av4 for the merger with Geneforge (blah!) engine and lack of Potion Making.

Sadly, I played Avernum just to play it, and even if it was good, still, it lacked something. And just today I learned that I was supposed to kill Hawthorne as the last task. I done that as first game-winning quest. The Grath-Hoth battle was the last thing I done and it was suprisingly easy.

Well...

I go with Avernum 3!

Originally Posted By: Haspen
Sadly, I played Avernum just to play it, and even if it was good, still, it lacked something. And just today I learned that I was supposed to kill Hawthorne as the last task. I done that as first game-winning quest. The Grath-Hoth battle was the last thing I done and it was suprisingly easy.
Actually, you can do A1's three game-winning quests in any order; it's very open-ended. And I agree, killing Grah-Hoth is probably the easiest of them.

I love those drawings! And I agree, I also enjoy A3 a lot.

I must admit that when I first saw A4, I was scared. It is the worst Spiderweb game, but it's not completely bad.

@Hapsen:

I actually like A1, though it does have a couple problems. Sometimes the dialogue can be slightly shallow, and the lack of a quest list drives me crazy. When I finished A6, I felt compelled to go back and play through all of them in order again. It was fun to go from the sadness and unfortunate changes in A6 back to the original feeling and freedom of A1. (I'm on A2 now.)

G3 does seem to be the least preferred on average, but it has its staunch defenders. I have to admit myself that I'd rate it the weakest of the Geneforge series, but I still consider it an excellent game — better in several important respects than G2.

A4 suffered badly in the polls because its plot seemed kind of repetitive for people who had played the original trilogy; for those of us who hadn't, its plot actually seemed pretty good. It was also a fairly straightforward dungeoncrawling hackfest in structure. But there's a big market for exactly that, and Jeff has said that A4 is the game that saved his business.

These days I think we can expect him to deliberately leaven his lofty game design aspirations with enough good old fashioned whackamoling to keep the 9-year-old market onside. And the more power to him — if these young'ns can subsidize our indy gaming, I'm more than willing to concede them a few slugathon bits.

I find Avernum 2 to be the best Avernum game, all around.

While I have only played the demos of his most recent games they are clearly superior, in some areas, to his first games. Graphics are very nice for one thing!

In others they are not, personally I get claustrophobia playing the new ones, which stops me from getting very interested in the games, so even if I were not too broke to play the full games I´m not sure I would do so.

I also find combat to be very streamlined at times, which I do not like. But then, I have only played the demos so perhaps it is not.

Originally Posted By: Droid
I find Avernum 2 to be the best Avernum game, all around.

Me too. I also find also find combat rather irritating in the new games. I often find that the characters go of in an unexpected direction, because I did not see some obstacle in the way.

I too have only tried the demos for A4, A5 and A6 but cannot imagine that the full versions are better.

• 2 weeks later...