Out of Sight

Mac/Windows

Author: Nikki

Difficulty: 18-23

Version: 1.0.0

[composite=eyJ0aXRsZSI6Ik91dCBvZiBTaWdodCIsInRpZCI6IjEyOTY2IiwidGFncyI6WyIyNC1ob3VyIiwiYXZlcm51bSB1bml2ZXJzZSIsImRhcmsiLCJsaW5lYXIiLCJzaG9ydCJdLCJiZ2FzcCI6eyI1IjowLCI0IjowLCIzIjoyLCIyIjoxLCIxIjowfX0=]

Composite Score: 2.7/5.0

Best: 0.00% (0/3)

Good: 0.00% (0/3)

Average: 66.67% (2/3)

Substandard: 33.33% (1/3)

Poor: 0.00% (0/3)

[encouragenecro]

[/composite]

Keywords: 24-Hour Scenario, Avernum Universe, Dark, Linear, Short

Edited by SylaeBot
Automated Sybot edit; worker IPB::csrThread/vanadium

• 1 month later...

REVIEW FOR OUT OF SIGHT 1.0

The Summary

You fall into a bunch of caves, and have to find your way out while nature and a mysterious beast try to hinder your way.

The Good

Atmosphere, which appears to be the main point of this scenario, was well done. I actually felt tense at several moments during this scenario. Additionally, the caves seemed mostly-believable, and the ruins were well-designed.

The Neutral

There wasn't really a plot besides, "You fell down a hole, now escape." Which works fine for the purposes of this scenario, but it'd still be nice to see a little more.

Graphically not all that impressive. Nothing bad, but nothing that particularly makes the scenario pop either. Noticeable lack of scripting as well.

The Bad

It felt like enemy you fought was supposed to be challenging. And indeed, it definitely had a lot of hitpoints... but if you want an actual challenge to an L15+ party, you have to have more than a single enemy. As it was, it was only a matter of whittling the creature's health down while the priest kept my fighter healed and my mage kept the creature slowed. As it was, it was more tedious than threatening, even with a party two levels below recommendation.

Also, way too much walking. It felt like I was meandering around empty town after empty town after a certain point.

The Verdict - [rating]SUBSTANDARD[/rating]

Your life will be neither better nor worse for playing this scenario. Worst case scenario, you won't waste too much of your life on it.

Thoughts

Not much. Okay for a 24-hour scenario, but I'd like to see something with more substance.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, this scenario’s pretty short. Very short, in fact. The atmosphere, however, makes up for it... for once, traipsing about in a series of twisty caves is suspenseful.

The combat... well, this needs to go into spoilers:

Click to reveal..

There are only two fights, and it’s with the same monster twice. These are intense combats, and going in with a party at level 13-14, slightly under the range, I just barely squeaked by.

That said, slowing the beast and spamming Enduring Shield on your fighter is a proven method.

A few more sounds wouldn’t have gone amiss, but other than that the scenario’s good. It’s short, but good, so there's not really any excuse for not playing it. I recall hearing that there was to be a second part, and I’d be very interested in seeing it.

Rating: [rating]Average[/rating]

• 1 month later...

Eh, what is there to say about Out of Sight]? It is short, but well-made. That pretty much says it all. There is maybe fifteen minutes of playtime, assuming you do not have to reload that much. Much like in Thralni's scenario HIM, the story begins with the player falling down into a dark forbidding place of doom. So the player must get back to civilization and that is the whole story.

Of course the player must face obstacles in order to get to his/her goal. Actually it is more like an obstacle... Two times. The obstacle being a horrendously dangerous monster from... I was not really paying attention. It does not matter where the monster came from. It is there and it wants to kill you. That is all you need to know. As for the actual fights: they are not that hard. The monster does pack quite a punch and it has multiple attacks, but it is alone and should not be too difficult to deal with... Unless you are alone too, and unless your singleton is not much of a fighter.

Moving on, there are six zones for you to explore and, surprisingly, there is an adequate amount of places to explore. However, what you will find is, mainly, herbs. But since there are no outdoors, spell casters do not replenish their spell points at all, so the herbs do come in handy. But then again, there are only the two fights and one of them is right at the end, so spell points should not be a problem. Maybe the herbs could be used to replenish the spell points that players would squander on casting "Light." Wait a minute...

Nikki, why did you remove the "Light" spell? "For atmospheric reasons?" If you wanted to make use of atmospheric lighting why not simply make the areas "always dark" using the editor? Oh wait, you did that too. Yet you did not take away my torches and such. Whatever.

Bottom line: OoS is well-made, but too short to merit anything higher than:

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]