How do you get your news?

Callie

Recent years have seen a decline in traditional sources of news. We now use a wide variety of news outlets, many of them on the internet. So, how do you get your news.

I mostly use the internet for news. My main news source is CNN, and I also use Reuters, Time, and either MSNBC or FOX depending on the party of the president. I don't use Yahoo!, even though I go there to check my email.

Generally, the only news programs I watch on television are 60 Minutes,20/20, and Nightline. I don't use newspapers or radio at all, nor do I receive any news magazines.

My main source of worldly news, local news, and news in general used to be from the television. But now, i have turned to the internet for all of my newsly needs. Not only is it more convinient, but the tv is somewhat less convinient. When i check my email or visit spiderweb, just open up a new tab and news away.

My main news sources are Boston.com for Massachusetts and USA news, BBC for international news, the Discovery Channel website for animal news, and various message boards for miscellaneous news. I also watch NECN's "Good Morning Live" on weekday mornings if I'm up early enough.

I don't usually bother myself with the news—being a child, and seldom affected by it—but occasionally I hear about something interesting that happened either on these boards or during conversation at school. Then I'll try to research it on the internet using google, or in the newspaper. That's pretty much it.

I can't stand the Daily Show because it pokes fun at something everyone already knows is stupid. What's the point?

I can't stand the regular news for various reasons, including those that the Daily Show makes a living pointing out.

When I'm at home and actually get a paper, I'll read it every day. Otherwise, my main news source is stories that catch my eye on AOL.com. I'll occasionally visit the BBC website, but haven't found a way to fit it into my regular schedule.

Originally Posted By: I need no introduction
Spiderweb software forms. tongue
It's funny because there have indeed been a few times I've found out about a major event from this site before anywhere else. Obama's Peace prize comes to mind. I guess it is highly likely that one of us from here is bound to be searching the internet for news at any given point in time, and once we find something, this is probably one of the few places on the internet that we think to go to first for a relatively decent (compared to the rest of the internet) conversation about it (because going somewhere besides the internet to talk about it would require additional movement). So yeah, I admit I've gotten news (complete with colorful commentary) from this very site before. grin

More often than not, I don't get news, because I don't have time to search it out or wait through editorial on television to get to the facts.

That said, when I do get my news, it's either from CNN, MSN, the local Fox network, the newspaper, or from this very website. More often than not, though, I'm informed through the grapevine, which I fact check through Internet searches through various AP articles.

Artemis looks to pointless and untrustworthy gossip to get up-to-date on things. But its not usually the most up-to-date political scandal. It goes something like this:

Carlos and Amanda have been on and off for 3 years. He cheated on her with Tiara. Then Tiara broke up with him. He wants Amanda back. She was stupid enough to say yes.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
It's funny how Americans seem to trust Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, and Seth Meyers more than mainstream news anchors.

I think it's perfectly understandable, seeing as it's the job of the former to point out the inaccuracies, biases, and comic mishaps of the latter. The latter takes itself way too seriously (to the point of comic mishaps), the former doesn't whatsoever.

That said, I do still prefer to get actual, firsthand news from the internet, or local channels.

Also, happy birthday Excalibur!

I don't bother with newspapers or reading online. When something I actually care about comes up, I get info from friends or links people post here.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
You don't get the information directly beamed into your head? Foil hats amplify the signals perfectly.

I've found that aluminum foil is preferable to tin for such purposes, although tin does a better job of protecting from aliens. It's a tossup, I guess.

I completely concur with Thuryl's statement. However, in Dune, you actually must stop reading in order to keep you view of the series intact. In Star Wars, even if you watch the Prequel trilogy, your respect for the OT should remain undiminished. Pretty much the only reason for watching the prequels is to see Palpatine's development, as Ian McDiarmind is literally the only good actor in the three films.

Re SD: DIE HERETIC!!!!!

I get most of my news from a local newspaper, more specifically from the comics, cryptogram & crossword. The rest comes from old movies, and from the rare occasion when I decide to turn on the television and—even more rarely—channel surf.

Originally Posted By: Strange loops for breakfast!
The integral from yesterday to infinity of news with respect to time is...?
Rehashed the following morning, and every day afterward for up to a solid month. News isn't news unless it can be beaten to death ten times over every hour on the hour.
Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Nah, I didn't realize seventeen was old. tongue
Ah, to be a teenager again...Especially knowing what I knew by about age 30.