Magic Mouse

VCH

hate hate hate hate hate

hate

but then again i'm an uncoordinated boob who had to turn off the tap-to-click function on my trackpad because i kept setting it off by accident so ymmv

wireless peripherals are still lame though, and if you're irritated at having to clean a regular mouse once in a blue moon then you won't be thrilled about dealing with the batteries on a wireless mouse either

I have a wireless mighty mouse, and the roller back thingy does indeed get clogged every few weeks. It's not hard to clean, but a bit annoying. I'm thinking about magic, too.

Wireless mice are fine, and the batteries last weeks. I bought a few rechargables and a charger, and have been using them for a few years now with no grief. The wireless mouse is a lot heavier than wired, because of the batteries. You get used to it, but lighter would be nice.

For those of you unfamiliar with apples mighty mouse, it has a tiny scroll ball that gets jammed and the only way to clean it is take the damn thing apart, then glue the bottom back on. So not having to do that makes the magic mouse attractive to me.

How are you cleaning yours SoT?

Oh and BTW lithium ion batteries are by far the longest lasting batteries out there, quite expensive though. They're great for cold weather too, I've had 3 outside in remote thermometers, in ~-45C weather, 3 years and still going.

I still have a mighty mouse, and the scroller has been blocked since about a month after we bought it. I saw videos on youtube about how to take it apart, but don't trust any of them enough to break the seal with a kitchen knife like the last one told me to.

Yea, SoT, How do you clean yours?

~-45C weather/quote]

Whoa. Now I don't want to visit Canada any more.

On my computer (XP), I have a Logitech mouse, with two thumb buttons which navigate back and forward in the browser and a scroll/tilt wheel with middle click functionality. Sounded great, and it works mostly, except I had to disable the tilt wheel. Instead of doing what it was supposed to do (side-scrolling), all it did was make my typing go backwards, which was often triggered accidentally as it was very sensitive, and there was no way to make it do anything else, so I just disabled it. Also, the forward thumb button puts ♠ in any text-entry fields, and the back button places ♦. It's annoying.

I even took it back to the store for a replacement, and the new one did the same thing.

Maybe this won't still work if your mighty mouse is severely clogged, but I just lick a finger and spin the rollerball around a few times, at the first sign of scrolling trouble. If I'm feeling fussy or if the stickiness persists I'll take one of those little screenwiper towellettes and use it instead of the finger. I've never had to take the thing apart, and I've had no trouble apart from these periodic minor cleaning sessions over a few years of constant use.

I find the sometimes I have had to turn my Mighty Moose upside down and run the roller across a sheet of paper to get it clean. I do that for about 5 minutes, making sure I don't press to down to hard so as to jam the roller inside the mouse. You can see the bits of grime come out and get left on the paper.

I will get a Magic Mouse when the one i have stops working, Might be a long time, I've had this one for 3 years now and still going strong.

When I buy a mouse for my computer, I prefer it to be wired, optical, have a scrolling wheel, and have one or two programmable buttons on one side. It must also be on sale; about $20-25 is my limit.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
Mighty Moose
That's one peripheral I've never seen used much. tongue

Originally Posted By: Anyone Else with Them
Originally Posted By: Dantius
Originally Posted By: VCH
-45 celsius
Can I have that in American degrees?
When it's that cold, does it really matter? (I'm guessing about -42.5ºF)
That seems more or less about it; I don't know the exact conversion formula anymore. However, I do remember that -40ºC and -40ºF are identical.

Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff
On my computer (XP), I have a Logitech mouse, with two thumb buttons which navigate back and forward in the browser and a scroll/tilt wheel with middle click functionality. Sounded great, and it works mostly, except I had to disable the tilt wheel. Instead of doing what it was supposed to do (side-scrolling), all it did was make my typing go backwards, which was often triggered accidentally as it was very sensitive, and there was no way to make it do anything else, so I just disabled it. Also, the forward thumb button puts ♠ in any text-entry fields, and the back button places ♦. It's annoying.
My Logitech mouse lacks the thumb buttons. It's just a regular two-button mouse with a clickable scroll wheel that can also be pushed sideways. The side-scrolling works fine, though it's slower than vertical scrolling.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
I find the sometimes I have had to turn my Mighty Moose upside down and run the roller across a sheet of paper to get it clean. I do that for about 5 minutes, making sure I don't press to down to hard so as to jam the roller inside the mouse. You can see the bits of grime come out and get left on the paper.

That's my cleaning method. It's kept the mouse in good working order for several years now.

—Alorael, who previously used an Apple wireless mouse from back when the mice only had one button. He had to change batteries several times a week. It was far more annoying than having to clean a scroll ball once in a while, especially since the mouse works fine even without the ball.

Originally Posted By: Quantum Gastronomy
—Alorael, who previously used an Apple wireless mouse from back when the mice only had one button. He had to change batteries several times a week.

Wireless mice have come a long way since then. I have a Logitech MX620 wireless mouse that I got 1.5 years ago. In that time, I have needed to replace the batteries once, about a year after I purchased it.

I think it depends on where you use the mighty mouse. I use mine on a dusty desk that I rarely clean.

Taking it apart is not a problem. The only tricky part is making sure you don't loose all the tiny rollers that interact with the scroll ball. The rollers are actually the thing that gets gummed with dirt.

As for batteries, I use Energizer Ultimate Lithium +AA. I turn off the mouse when I am not using the computer. I replace that batteries maybe once every 5 or 6 months.

The technology in batteries have come very far in my life time. If I was using the same kind of batteries I used in my gameboy (the original) they would last about 1 maybe 2 days as most. These advances are very subtle to see at the moment but compared to many or a few years back they are quite significant.

I am using some kind of Logitech wireless mouse with my mac right now, and it is working fine. I think that I have had it for around half a year now, and it is working perfectly. I like mine because I can recharge it and don't have to keep on changing its batteries. It can hold its charge for weeks, and then I just charge it overnight and in the morning it is good for another few weeks.

I think the magic mouse is cool, and my dad tried one out at the Mac store and said it was good. Of course, it will probably break once you get home, but that's my daily pessimism.

My family has a 6 or so year old G5 iMac, and we still have the single-click wired mouse. It works well, and we won't be replacing it. I would think wireless mice are nice, but I don't want to have battery trouble.

And has Apple really done nothing about dirty mighty mice?

How long is a while? My mouse still cleans up just fine with a couple of seconds and any scrap of paper that's handy, and while it entered my possession used, it's one of the first mighty mice to hit the market.

—Alorael, who has to admit that he's not especially eager to switch back to a mouse with batteries. He's also not too keen on the new Mac keyboard either. Why did the function keys have to shrink? Why did the volume controls move left?

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
I still have one of those single button mice on my Mac. smirk
They still make single-button mice? I haven't seen one of those since I was in high school.

How are you supposed to use thumb buttons? My Windows computer has a mouse with a thumb button but it doesn't do anything.
You have to install a special driver program; either it comes with the mouse on a CD, or you can download it from the manufacturer's website. Once it's installed, you can use it to program the thumb buttons.

My Uncle says that he just rubs his mighty mouse against his shirt once a week. My dad's logitech mouse gets new batteries every few months.

I was in the Mac Store at the Mall today and played with the new magic mouse. The forward and backward feature takes a bit of getting used to, and it's not really all that special, but it works well enough. The one there was wireless, and it was actually a comfortable weight. The mouse itself is really very slim. I'm not about to go buy one, but it definitely looks good.

Originally Posted By: Hypnotic
I have a mouse with one button. I forever insist to my parents to get a new one. I could get one myself but I'm to cheap.
Just get one anyway; a good mouse can cost as little as $10-15, so you definitely won't break the bank.

Originally Posted By: ☭
Nalyd has an optical mouse for his laptop. He uses it for FPSes.
I have one for my laptop also; it's wired, not wireless, because I'm too cheap to buy batteries for a wireless mouse. I use it for almost everything so I don't wear out the touchpad.

I actually don't see the symbol in Nalyd's PDN, unless it was supposed to be a box with "262D" inside of it.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
I still have one of those single button mice on my Mac. smirk
They still make single-button mice? I haven't seen one of those since I was in high school.

Not that I know of. It's just that the computer is old and the mouse is too.

The problem appears to be that UBB gets overexcited and, having already turned the unicode value into an HTML entity, it then escapes the ampersand at the start of the HTML entity itself as an HTML entity, leaving the orphaned remainder to be interpreted as text.

⌥⌘⎋⇧⨯

EDIT: And to make matters even better, it doesn't screw this up when displaying previews of entries which contain non-ascii unicode, but does once the data is stored.