Avernum 3rd time around remake :D

I used to play Avernum waaaay back when it was called "Exile 2" on my Windows 3.1 computer, and was hooked but was too poor to buy the game being a kid and all. but yea, when i was younger i was messing around with the register thingy on it for over 4 months and finaly i ended up unlocking the full game lol. it came on a CD called Galaxy of Games. but yea thats how it all started.

but anyways, years later i found the game again by chance online and notice it was remade as Avernum. So i played threw the demo and it was great.

So my question is...

Do you think the whole Avernum series will be Remade again? O.O i hope so cus it rocks!

Oh and i really think he should up the security on his games to avoid pirating cus these are some really good games.

Jeff has reached a decision that improving piracy protection significantly will only serve to upset customers that legitimately pay for the games. Don't mention pirating games again if you want to stay here.

A remake of the entire Avernum series is slated sometime in the future and will probably use a version of the Avernum 6 game engine unless Jeff comes up with a better idea when he does it.

The next game after Avernum 6 will be a new game and hopefully the start of a new series.

Averforge Gate -

A hiccup in the multiverse creates a valley where Shapers rule the surface and Avenites live in the caves below. You get to play the game as either a Shaper apprentice or a team of Avenite adventures. smile

I have several guesses. 1, Jeff is more likely to update when it's low effort. Avernum: Resurrection with compatibility upgrades and a few minor additions are more likely than full remakes. 2, remakes will be made when the probable sales justify them. 3, remakes will be in Jeff's most modern engine or an adaptation thereof. That looks likely to be the post-A6 engine.

—Alorael, who wouldn't mind a sequel to Nethergate following the fate of the peach goblins in their new land and time, preferably in the distant future on a spaceship.

Originally Posted By: Sss-Chah
if he were going to make another scenario creation kit, why would it be geneforge? that's like if square-enix had made an online dragon warrior game instead of an online final fantasy game.

Which would make sense if Square-Enix were targeting the Japanese market. I don't know that that's a good idea, but maybe it beats trying the English-speaking market and facing WoW somehow.

—Alorael, who also thinks Jeff might conceivably want BoG because it's the only Blades engine he doesn't have. Sure, A4-A6 have a different engine, but Blades of Avernum is a taken title.

Originally Posted By: dave s
I'd love to see Avernum revamped for Nintendo DS. I think it'd be a great fit. You'd need to revamp the graphics, but I think it would sell well.

This is expensive and/or labor-intensive. Both are not things Jeff likes.

—Alorael, who also doesn't think Geneforge is much of a competitor on the DS market. The computer is probably Spiderweb's best niche.

You need to delete the preference file for the game. Note that this will also unregister the game if you've registered it, so be ready to send your new registration number to Jeff, along with your name and the address at which you last registered (I think), in order to get a replacement code.

—Alorael, who considers the editor an integral part of the challenge of Avernum. Either you reduce the difficulty as needed or you increase the requirement for willpower to resist using the editor. Either way, more fun!

Can't you find a healer? In BoA the spell Radiant Shield makes Gremlins less of a problem. (In my games the Mage has Unshackle Mind to boot, this acts as a backup.)

Rather than deleting the Avernum3.dat file, just rename it instead as a precaution. You may or may not have a save game that is fairly recent.