Cave cows vs Ornks

Kurian

If you thought the Ornkskin Gauntlets were badass, wait till you see the Nine-Headed Cave Cowskin Gauntlets. You have to cut off a finger to use them, but the sacrifice is more than worth it, considering the benefits they provide -- in particular their automatic enabling of the eleventh battle proficiency -- Well-Aimed Cow.

Yeah, check the forums. Many people change their names to something with "Shaper" in it and occasionally one will hope over to Avernum and post. However I havn't seen an Ornk kill one of those people. Nor a cavecow for that matter.

Still If someone were to teleport a Shaper from terrestia to the Empire then into Avermun we have a feasble scenario where a Shaper can meet both a Cave-cow and Ornk and then be killed by one. Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Have you seen many Shapers in Avernum lately?

Dikiyoba.

Yes, yes, I have. I'm playing as one right now. Most major characters in Avernum (or at least most mages) are, in fact, Shapers.

I'm curious to hear your justification for this comment.

—Celtic Minstrel, who may or may not have voted for cave cows and is most definitely not copying Alorael.

As to which is more bovine, Cave Cows win over Ornks, hands (hooves?) down. Cave cows are actual cows; Ornks are a blend of cow, pig, and I don't know (or want to know) what all else.

Originally Posted By: Liminal Term, Terminal Limb (aka Slarty)
the eleventh battle proficiency -- Well-Aimed Cow.
Seriously, who'd want to pick up a cow and throw it? Sure, there'd be a lot of physical damage to whatever you threw the cow at, but it's nothing compared to the psychological damage done to the poor cow. tongue

Originally Posted By: Dantius
They have identical sprites. It would be more striking if I could find more pictures of Geneforge 5 shapers- that's about the only one.
Spiderweb Software recycles. What else is there to say?

One of the definitions of 'bovine' is slow-moving and dull-witted. I would argue, therefore, that ornks are more bovine. When cows were sent down to Avernum, most died, only the strongest and smartest could survive, so they must have lost some of their bovineness in order to continue life in such harsh conditions. Ornks, on the other hand, were specifically created to be slow and dumb, for easy harvesting, so the Shapers would have maximized their boviness, perhaps making them even slower and stupider than real life cows. Ornks are thus the more bovine. smile

Biologically, though, bovine refers to cattle, antelope, and animals like the bison or yak. Also, from Wikipedia: "General characteristics [of bovine animals] include cloven hoofs and usually at least one of the sexes of a species having true horns". Compare that to this (also from wikipedia): "A pig has a snout for a nose, small eyes, and a small tail, which may be curly, kinked, or straight. It has a thick body, short legs, and coarse hair. There are four toes on each foot, with the two large middle toes used for walking"

From those two descriptions, I'd say that Ornks are much closer to pigs than cattle. Cave cows are therefore much more bovine than Ornks, which are, as Niemand said earlier, decidedly porcine.

Originally Posted By: SOT
LOL!!!

Rules:

1. Post responsibly – Only YOU can prevent spam!
Please don't create irrelevant topics on forums dedicated to specific games, create multiple topics about the same thing, or post multiple times in a row in rapid succession. Forum topics are like conversations: it's okay for the discussion to wander, but it's not okay to butt in off-topic when others are enjoying their discussion. That's just interruption. Don't make short, meaningless posts or respond to every topic you possibly can; spam is frowned upon. Don't post in a topic that has been inactive for a long time unless you have good reason to continue the discussion. We appreciate posts that are easy to read, so please post legibly. Try to adhere to good spelling and rules of grammar. Excessive use of rainbow colored text is not permitted.

I love side-tracked mini topics, but I never expected there to be one about me. Hypno's Okay. YES! I am now above babling idiot!

About the "lol" thing, I just say it when I'm on a sugar buzz or guenionly think something is funny. I have yet to actually Laugh out loud on something text based.

Lol, my Avatar looks like SoTs.

See now I'm suspicious that there may be other mentions hiding on Forums outside of General and Geneforge that I don't know about. Paranoia.

Also Ornks sound like Oink so I have to say I like them as they are what they sound like. Ish. Kinda.