Outpost Valley

Mac/Windows

Author: Smoo

Levels:

Version: 1.0.0

[composite=eyJ0aXRsZSI6Ik91dHBvc3QgVmFsbGV5IiwidGlkIjoiMTI0MDIiLCJ0YWdzIjpbIjI0LWhvdXIiLCJhdmVybnVtIHVuaXZlcnNlIiwiY29tYmF0IGhlYXZ5IiwiZHVuZ2VvbiBjcmF3bCIsInRvd24gb25seSJdLCJiZ2FzcCI6eyI1IjowLCI0IjozLCIzIjo3LCIyIjowLCIxIjowfX0=]

Composite Score: 3.3/5.0

Best: 0.00% (0/10)

Good: 30.00% (3/10)

Average: 70.00% (7/10)

Substandard: 0.00% (0/10)

Poor: 0.00% (0/10)

[encouragenecro]

[/composite]

Keywords: 24-Hour Scenario, Avernum Universe, Combat Heavy, Dungeon Crawl, Town Only

Edited by SylaeBot
Automated Sybot edit; worker IPB::csrThread/vanadium

Outpost Valley is short, and it’s an enjoyable scenario. You start off in a prison cell, with your weapons and armor stolen. Part of your objective is recovering each party member’s gear, and this is enjoyable on a visceral level. My party’s mage wielded a hammer. There was even a hammer just lying in one of the other rooms, but I found myself wanting to recover <span style="font-style: italic">her</span> hammer.

Graphics are nothing special, nor is the town design. The combat is fairly straight-forward too, as long as you watch out for the guys with Divine Host.

Smoo also brought back some things from A3 which I’d like to see more of. First, there is a spellbook that teaches a spell to any PCs with high enough skills. Second, there’s a book just lying around for flavor. And the book actually has text in it, that has nothing to do with the scenario as a whole. Just a nice touch.

Play it, it’s short. And it’s fun.

Rating: [rating]Good[/rating]

• 5 months later...

This is pretty good for a 24-hour scenario, particularly the jail break sequence. The story is simple, but it works.

Usually, it's annoying to lose all of your gear, but here it's fortunately scattered throughout the fort. Even your gold can be recovered, but it's an easy thing to miss, so thanks for almost screwing my party over.

Overall, it's fun and short enough to merit a quick excursion from the usual plot-filled stock.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

• 1 year later...

From Salmon on the CSR:

Dang it Smoo!

I like your stuff, but this is dull. There were no tricks, no special things. I realize that you only had 24 hours, and you do concentrate on dialog. It just seems like a let down after your other stuff. I'm not even sure I can give this a number, as it would either be higher than it deserved if I add points for the time crunch, or lower than you would expect based on your previous work.

In any event, it seems worse than your previous stuff and shows the rush that happens in a timed contest.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Nioca on the CSR:

You can't really expect someone (TM aside) to turn out the technical tricks and charm in 24 hours. That said, I highly enjoyed this scenario. Plenty of combat that I never found dull, and managing what little resources you were given makes this scenario one that I'll probably play again. Plot wasn't that original, but it still held a sort of charm. Having the weapons stolen was an interesting technique as well.

Final score: [rating]GOOD[/rating]

From Jemand on the CSR:

A quick, well made little scenario, but I agree that there were no interesting tricks. All of the combat was about the same, though the boss fight was fairly hard, as it should be. I can't say I cared for the plot particularly at all. The best part was probably the interaction with the bandit in the dungeon. The worst part was probably being half dead, with no stuff, and no magic.

All in all, for a 24 hour scenario, it wasn't bad.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From TM on the CSR:

(Note: The weapons weren't actually "stolen" by the brigands; they just re-dropped them from a blank square somewhere off-screen.)

The scenario's beginning was really nice. I thought it was the high point of the scenario, but that's not to say that the rest is bad: It's just not... great. I mean, I know-- 24 hours, yada yada yada. But it's not impossible to come up with a more original premise than "there are some brigands being aided by a two-timing captain." (He even gives the Scooby-Doo "If it weren't for you meddling..." line, for chrissakes!)

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Nikki on the CSR:

Yeah, I can't really add to what's been said. I know the whole 24 hour thing is a problem, but still, I expected a little better from Smoo. That said, I did enjoy the scenario. It just wasn't brilliant, ya know?

Still, it gets a higher vote than some full-size scenarios:

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Jewels on the CSR:

A bit buggy in the beginning. My party jumped around without reason. The only scripting that really intrigued me was the leaving of the parties items in various areas or in monsters hands throughout the dungeon. Storyline was OK but grammar was a little off. Graphics were nothing special. A mediocre play.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]