Avernum 6 - September update.

Spidweb

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, I can wait. I know Jeff will deliver and I'd rather not have to putz with getting all these OS Emulators and Direct X and various other programs to play nice with each other.

I'm content to wait for the official release and then pay my $28 for another solid month of fantastic, old-school RPG action.

Besides, by that time there will be Forum Threads and FAQs written to slate my Min/Max thirst wink

Originally Posted By: Marak
I'm content to wait for the official release and then pay my $28 for another solid month of fantastic, old-school RPG action.
I download shortly after the release, play for a while until most of the bugs are worked out and there's at least one patch available, and then buy the game on CD with the hint book.

Maybe it's a shift in the indie RPG world (if not a terribly recent one). When Spiderweb started out, there were more than a handful of indie RPGs developed primarily for mac. Realmz in particular was very popular, and since Exile was distributed with Realmz for a time. Everything else I can think of these days is developed for PCs first, if Macs are even considered at all.

Check out this market share comparison.

Perhaps games and other products would be developed for Linux specifically, if it had more than 1% of the market share. Worse than the 1%, though, is the fact that a large portion of that 1% -- most of it, I'd guess -- regularly uses either Windows or Mac as well. On the other hand, I suspect that the majority of Mac users do not own PCs, so there is orders of magnitude more profit to be mined out of that 5%, than Linux's 1%.

Originally Posted By: Khoth
October update: Development has been a bit slow because Jeff has suddenly realised that the story for A6 will work better if it's set in a spaceship in the future, so there's a load of unexpected engine changes needed.

oh god, stareye has finally developed a mind control ray to bend jeff to his will

It won't be a copy of E3. It'll be the end of the Avernum series. Gonna be a lot of new stuff. Seriously, read the first post.

Secondly, A3 wasn't purely a copy, or there would be no point to buying it. Jeff threw in some extra dungeons and some other content to make it slightly more interesting/worth buying. Never mind streamlining the magic system and making it 3d...

Personally, I'm hoping the Xian skull is in there somewhere. Probably the mastermind of everything. tongue

Quote:
It won't be a copy of E3. It'll be the end of the Avernum series. Gonna be a lot of new stuff. Seriously, read the first post.

of course i read the first post. but jeff stated a long time ago (post-A4 release?) that A1 (my exile would never be so medicore!) was meant to mirror A4, A5 (although I will say that it was actually improved over the previous avernum/exile games, something that jeff promised us so very long ago) to mirror A2. he really hasn't done anything new with any of the avernum games that Exile didn't beat. well, he did of course do geneforge, and nethergate i suppose (never played it however). honestly, none of that really hyped me; he should have stopped at blades of avernum and done something new.

Quote:
A6 has an all new plot.

Same old post-apocalyptica

A-5 was Cool,almost.I wanted to kill everyone.Well you can't.I wanted to kill the general.What an [censored].I Guess I wanted to go on a killing spree.Not happening.Not in the outpost for sure.And when I did finally kill the bad dude,I respected him more than I did the general.What a severe let down.The ending really sucked.You don't have a say in how the story line ends.It just ends with you and your party butt kissing the general,which ends up being the new Boss.

I am gonna play A-6.Why,Because,I'm like addicted.I'm now playing A-3 over again.Different attitude.Hope it helps.

patiently waiting for pc verision of A-6.

It's not easy — the Darkside Loyalists are a very secretive organization, working against an enormously powerful state, and they also have enough strength of their own that they don't need recruits all that badly. So they don't just give you an easy pop-up offer to sign up and fight on their side. But if you say the right things at the right times to the right people throughout the game, eventually you get some new opportunities. It might be worth replaying A5 to check this out.

Being trigger happy actually works against you when you want to join the loyalists, for the most part. Killing the Dervish at the one fight is a bad idea, though it is made pretty obvious at the time. Killing that prisoner in the dragon's lair is much more likely, and there is no warning telling you that killing him effectively closes the door as far as joining the loyalists. On the other hand, if you've killed a lot of important people and factions, odds are you'll at least have acquired a nice present for them should they require one at a certain point. So yeah, do a second playthrough for sure. Also be sure to join Gladwell if you didn't the first time for extra killingfulness. smile

• 2 years later...

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

My heart dropped when the first "You feel hungry" message appeared while playing the Avernum 6 demo.

In this day and age, somebody actually added a "food meter" to an RPG?#@! Don't they remember the first generation of RPGs? NOT ONE game with a food meter ever became a true classic. Why not? Because the constant need to feed your character(s) makes the gameplay incredibly tedious.

Dear Jeff Vogel: If you insist on adding such anachronisms to one of your games, why can't you make an associated option (in an init file, for example) for people like me who play RPGs to relax?