Guys... let's have an honest talk about hard drinks.

Eclipse

For years I have been pressured into trying harder beverages. I often knew that the sin of fizzy sodas would be on my horizon, for I am no prophet to disobey the commands of Satan. I took it upon myself to fill my stomach with the bubbling acidic goodness of the likes of sprite, cola, and mountain dew.

The chocolate milk that once comforted me was now a minuscule portion of what I needed to survive. I began to drink more and more of these sodas until I knew I needed help.

With the Lose Orangeade Lust (LOL) program, I began to lose my dependence on hard drinks. I am now 1 month sober of soda.

This thread is for those who are still suffering from carbonism or have suffered like me and this is the place to ask for help or inspiration, or just tell your story.

Good luck and god bless

I don't drink to much soda very often, but when I do, I can drink it fast. I do, however, often drink these carbonated juice drinks, which have have very strange flavors. When I drink something carbonated after I haven't had some soda or something like that for a while, my eyes water. But then everything is fine.

I typically consume between 1300 and 1800 kcal per week day, including one to two cans of soda. I recently discovered the hard way that cutting this out of my diet had a sizable negative impact, as it eliminated somewhere between .1 and .2 of my energy intake. Ideally, I ought to find another source for that energy, but as I think I eat an otherwise acceptably healthy diet, I don't feel that there's all that great a need to do so.

While I like many sodas, a good orange (not Sunkist, which is bitter and awful) is about my favorite type. I'm not overly fond of standard Coke, and I refuse to ingest Mountain Dew. I do tend to favor sweeter sodas, and so I am rather partial to Vess brand, which I have to import these days, as it isn't sold this far north.

Originally Posted By: Shaper Spddin
I dislike over-carbonated soda aswell. it burns

That burn is the reason I like clear sodas so much.

Originally Posted By: slarty
orangina ftw

I had some today at French Club. It was rather tasty.

Overall, I like clear sodas (mountain dew excluded, it is only a caffeine source pour moi). Cola is way overrated. Root beer is good, as is the occasional orange soda.

Jones soda anyone?

I used to like Mountain Dew the best when I was a teen, now I like the Nestea cans of pop and Coke Zero or Diet Coke.

That's when I drink pop at all, usually at home I drink cold tap water. I don't drink as much milk as I should. Oh, I also drink juice, from the frozen cans that you buy in the supermarket.

*opens a bottle of Cherry Coca-Cola and sits down suspiciously close to Spddin*

Mmmm... Tasty.

Anyway, I have to watch myself when drinking cola. A particular favorite, as mentioned, is Cherry Cola, but regular cola works for me too. Problem is, once I start drinking it, I tend to lose track of how much I've had. Once burned through 3 2-liters of cherry cola because I wasn't paying attention.

That said, I try to keep it down to a glass or two a day. A tall glass or two a day. My success... varies. On a related note, I've rediscovered Ginger Ale as well.

Other then that, I tend to drink Iced Tea, Coffee, or water.

AMEND: As for Coca-Cola vs. Pepsi, I prefer Coca-Cola. Pepsi is a bit too sweet.

Originally Posted By: Master1
Jones soda anyone?

I love Jones soda. My favorite is Green Apple, although every flavor I've tried was delicious. I avoid their orange soda, though, because for some reason they decided it needed caffeine, and I try not to consume too much caffeine.

I've never had their fancy holiday sodas. I want to try their Salmon-flavored soda, but the only way I could would be to buy it on Ebay or something, and I don't know if it's really such a good idea to be drinking soda that old. They make a set of limited edition holiday sodas each year for different holidays, each flavored like a holiday food, and the salmon flavor is out of production.

If it doesn't burn on the way down, I spit it out. That goes for soda, coffee, and my pesudo-inebriation cocktails.

My favorite flavor is Dr Pepper though I'll settle for Mr Pib if it's on the menu. But if I find a Squirt, I'll take it for old times sake. Yummy...

Regular Coke is better than regular Pepsi, though, and diet anything is just disgusting. The worst one I have tasted is that Diet Mt Dew Violet somethingorother... *retch*

But all in all, we only buy soda here for special occasions like cook-outs and such, so milk and water are our staples.

I drink water, milk, chocolate milk, orange juice, apple juice, coffee, and occasionally tea.

As far as carbonated drinks are concerned, I pretty much grew up on a local brand called Towne Club, which has become really hard to find in recent years (maybe out of business?). Here's what I drink nowadays: Coke, Pepsi, Vernors, Sprite, Sierra Mist, Mountain Dew, A&W Root Beer, Dr. Pepper, and several Faygo products. With Coke, Pepsi, and Mountain Dew, I sometimes have the diet version.

As for the century-old Coke/Pepsi debate, I have no opinion either way; I honestly can't tell them apart, save for the packaging.

Being over 21 in the U.S., I've been known to have a beer every so often when the mood hits me (usually about once every 6-12 weeks), and very rarely (once every year or two, at most) I have something stronger. To those who can't, don't, or are too young to drink alcohol, it's highly overrated; trust me, you're not missing much.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
On a related note, I've rediscovered Ginger Ale as well.
I've been drinking ginger ale since I was a boy; Vernors is by far the best I've had.
Originally Posted By: Toby-Linn
Coke Zero
I tried it once, which was more than enough; the same is true of Pepsi One. They reminded me rather unfavorably of the New Coke back in the '80s. sick