Aphobia

Mac/Windows

Author: Terror's Martyr

Difficulty: 1-8

Version: 1.0.0

[composite=eyJ0aXRsZSI6IkFwaG9iaWEiLCJ0aWQiOiIxMjM0NCIsInRhZ3MiOlsiMjQtaG91ciIsImJlZ2lubmVyIiwiZGFyayIsImxpbmVhciIsInNob3J0Il0sImJnYXNwIjp7IjUiOjEsIjQiOjQsIjMiOjgsIjIiOjAsIjEiOjB9fQ==]

Composite Score: 3.5/5.0

Best: 7.69% (1/13)

Good: 30.77% (4/13)

Average: 61.54% (8/13)

Substandard: 0.00% (0/13)

Poor: 0.00% (0/13)

[encouragenecro]

[/composite]

Keywords: 24-Hour Scenario, Beginner, Dark, Linear, Short

Edited by SylaeBot
Automated Sybot edit; worker IPB::csrThread/vanadium

• 2 weeks later...

I think I like Aphobia more than I should, but it somehow put a goofy grin on my face for most of its duration. Aphobia's combat is challenging. Its design is flawless. However, the best part is the plot which I won't spoil at all. Playing Aphobia through only takes about fifteen minutes so it is not even a waste of time if you don't enjoy the plot. Although I have to say that the ending was a bit abrupt, but that's about the only complaint I have.

Rating: [rating]GOOD[/rating]

I liked Aphobia, just not as much as Imagine This Scenario. It's short, as would be expected from any 24-hour scenario. It skirts what would be termed conventional reality, so it’s a standard TM scenario.

The towns are solid, ever-changing as they are (and the transitions are handled very well). Always good to see the snow terrain set being used, too. Dialogue is more or less nonexistent, as TM knocks on the 4th wall a few times. Combat is entirely manageable, as my level 3 party came out more or less unscathed (though if you’re on the lower end of the range, be careful).

Yeah, that’s about it. Worth a play.

Rating: [rating]Good[/rating]

• 9 months later...

I didn't enjoy this scenario as much as any of TM's others. First, the snow floor in the beginning uses the regular grass automap icon. That bugged me a lot more than it probably should have. Plus, the combat wasn't so much challenging as it was really, really annoying. (I'm thinking specifically of the part where you fight the line of spiders in the tunnel one square long.) Plus, there was this line of dialog: "Not to break the fourth wall, but you're not going to need his services, so I'm not going to give him a dialogue node just so you can hear him describe what it's like being alone in a remote area."

Then again, there was quite a bit of cool scripting, even though it was a 24-hour scenario.

Rating: [rating]Average[/rating]

• 1 month later...

Interesting! I have no real experience with drugs, but I don't think the story really depends on that for its success. I agree about the opening dialogue--hugely unnecessary! Although at least the town was short. The scripting really showed me a trick or two, too! The gameplay really didn't offer anything interesting, but it was a good enough vessel for the scenario's essence.

Still, in all fairness, it's three stinking towns long! How can a scenario that short ever receive the rating "good"? (Maybe the rating system here is too primitive. I'm not sure how to remedy this.) Anyway! Really: Worth playing, but [rating]Average[/rating].

• 2 weeks later...

Aphobia is a brief scenario but should provide a lot of fun regardless.

Rating: [rating]Good[/rating]

Combat - Average: It's not spectacular, but the story line makes it fun. The combat is a bit difficult at level one, but I played with a level 3 party and didn't experience too much trouble.

Design - Average: Meh. The caves don't look terribly great, but they work. I also don't think the snow graphics blend in very well with the dirt path graphic in the fort.

Story - Good: It can be a bit confusing but it was clever and interesting nonetheless. It's quite trippy, which I like.

Technical/Balance - Good: The town-morphing effects are awesome, which adds to the whole hallucination story line.

Replay Value - Good: My one objection here is that the innkeeper doesn't have a dialog, but what the heck? Who cares? If you want quick level up but can't justify the HLPM, pick this scenario.

• 11 months later...

From Nioca on the CSR

Overview - A small scenario with a simple plot. You play a soldier who is sent to deal with a bandit problem, with the help of a little liquid courage. Enough fighting to satisfy those who enjoy combat, without getting tedious.

Plot - Satisfactory. Fairly simple, putting a new spin on an age-old scenario plot. The idea of liquid courage was interesting, and the sequences that result were well done.

Combat - Excellent. Challenging without running the risk of having a stray monster inter one of your characters. The mix of abilities presented added a touch of tactical thinking. Additionally, the growing number of hostiles you're presented with at a time add a growing sense of futility to your quest.

Design - Good. Towns were convincing, if a little barren and linear. Outdoor design was good too, making you feel as if you were in a remote area. The atmosphere was great, but there was one vital flaw: a certain character in the starting town breaks the fourth wall, and not just a little bit either. For a scenario this short, it somewhat ruins the mood, even if it adds a little humor. Overall design kept the plot running smoothly.

Graphics - Good. Icon adjusts were used to make the enemies unique in appearance, to great effect. Snow graphics were also used nicely, but the transition between dirt and snow was non-existent. Terrain frills made all the small touches the main dungeon needed as well.

Balance - Almost Perfect. Combat was entirely appropriate for the level specifications, striking a near-perfect balance between challenging and fun. Starting equipment was reasonable, and there were no Monty Haul items whatsoever. The only thing that was over-the-top was your final reward, but I'm not complaining.

Technical - Great. The only real technical thing in this scenario were the transitional cutscenes, but they were spectacularly done without going over-the-top. Dialog boxes were well-executed as well.

Gameplay - Excellent. The scenario was fun, interesting, and kept me guessing (and mildly puzzled) till the very end. I'd recommend this scenario to anyone starting out.

Final Score: [rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Nikki on the CSR:

"I think I like Aphobia more than I should, but it just made me smile like I was retarded or something. Aphobia's combat is challenging. Its design is flawless. But the best part is the plot which I won't spoil at all."

I mean, I wasn't grinning moronically, but yeah.

Damn.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating], because it's still not as good as ITS.

From BainIhrno on the CSR:

This scenario somewhat reminded me of the Star Trek TNG episode "Frame of Mind", in that you have delusions between two places. It could have been a great scenario if details were fleshed out a little more, and there was a storyline behind the Delusion Potion.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Jewels on SV:

Well, I like it less then ITS. Not that it was worse or that there's anything wrong with it. It's probably the sense of not being able to finish my quest that bothers me. What was my quest anyway? Bandits? Spiders? What was real, and what was not? A literal head trip.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Short, linear and humerous.

With a touch of more work it could be a 10/10 scenario.

Aesthetics 8.5/10

outdoors: 8/10

(Nothing special yet sufficient)

towns: 8/10

(Simple, straight forward, sufficient)

caves: 9/10

(Good use of elevation)

creatures: 10/10

(Couldn't have asked for more. Loved the big beasty looking spider at the end. Shame I couldn't fight it)

Gameplay 8/10

plot: 9/10

(I thought it was quite clever and fun. it wasn't too much or too little of a plot)

fighting: 8/10

(Although combat wasn't important, it was simple, and matched appropriately. You can do it with a level 1 party)

dialog: 7/10

(Dialog was adequate. It wasn't special in any way yet it was exactly what was required from such a simple plot)

Scripting 9.25/10

encounters: 9/10

(I felt it was cleverly done without making it feel too forceful)

cutscenes: 9/10

(Flowed well, no bugs that I could find and very nice transitioning)

custom additions: 10/10

(Over and above in my opinion. For such a small scenario there was a lot of extra custom additions, such as the leather greaves. I thought they were a nice touch. The snow feature was quite good also)

Overall: 8.75/10

[rating]BEST[/rating]