Bonus Army

Mac/Windows

Author: Terror's Martyr

Difficulty: Any

Version: 1.0.0

[composite=eyJ0aXRsZSI6IkJvbnVzIEFybXkiLCJ0aWQiOiIxMjM0MiIsInRhZ3MiOlsiMjQtaG91ciIsImRhcmsiLCJkZXNpZ25lci1zcGVjaWZpYyB1bml2ZXJzZSIsImRpYWxvZ3VlIGhlYXZ5IiwibGluZWFyIiwicGxvdCBoZWF2eSIsInByZWZhYiBwYXJ0eSIsInNlcmlvdXMiLCJzaG9ydCJdLCJiZ2FzcCI6eyI1IjowLCI0IjowLCIzIjo1LCIyIjozLCIxIjoxfX0=]

Composite Score: 2.4/5.0

Best: 0.00% (0/9)

Good: 0.00% (0/9)

Average: 55.56% (5/9)

Substandard: 33.33% (3/9)

Poor: 11.11% (1/9)

[encouragenecro]

[/composite]

Keywords: 24-Hour Scenario, Dark, Designer-Specific Universe, Dialogue Heavy, Light/No Combat, Linear, Plot Heavy, Prefab Party, Serious, Short, Singleton, Town Only

Edited by SylaeBot
Automated Sybot edit; worker IPB::csrThread/vanadium

Erm... yeah. So TM made this in twelve-hours, and it shows. Slightly better than Xerch'de, and it's pretty cool, but on the whole there's just not much meat here.

Again, the 100-word limit is forcing me to stretch this out, so here we go. This scenario is over as soon as it begins, and sees you as yet another forced singleton (I dislike this trend). There are hints at a greater over-arching story, but you yourself will see little action. I think TM was just trying to one-up himself after several 24-hour works, but hey, it’s not bad, so you should play it anyway.

Rating: [rating]Average[/rating]

• 2 weeks later...

There's comes a time when after ten minutes of game play you have to ask: what was the point? Well Bonus Army has the player playing a forced singleton in a world where the Humbas are fighting the Fumbas, or something. The player is a captain on the losing side in a fort that's under siege. Then the player is contacted by mysterious people and wackiness ensues, and by "wackiness" I mean horrible dramatic moral dilemmas, "and by horrible dramatic moral dilemmas" I mean you will have no impact on the story. The problem is that the player once again has no say in what happens. Once again TM sits the players on a roller coaster ride and hopes that they will enjoy the ride. The ride is, unfortunately, ridiculously short. I honestly didn't get anything out of it.

Rating: [rating]SUBSTANDARD[/rating]

• 1 year later...

From Nioca on the CSR:

I can't honestly say a whole lot about this scenario. It's short, there's no combat, and there's a whole lot of background exposition for what amounts to about 4 minutes of play. You're shuffled back and forth, forced to do what the designer wishes to the exclusion of all else...

It was designed in 12 hours, wasn't beta-tested, and yet there weren't any major bugs, so I'll give credit where credit is due there.

Final Score: [rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

This had the base for what could have been an excellent scenario, if only TM had given it a little more time.

From Pinchy the Crab on the CSR:

So as far as this one goes, you might as well have just made it a text file. Im all for story, but toss in at least a little combat for the casual player. Most people don't want to listen to giant blocks of text for a sitting.

Actually, the only surprising thing about this was the lack of combat...

[rating]POOR[/rating]

From Arachnid on the CSR:

Christ, Pinchy, it seems like you're going out of your way to **** all over TM's stuff.

That being said, it was interesting but was little more than an interactive cutscene. Great for a 12 hour design time and kind of interesting to poke at with the editor, but not really worth much.

[rating]SUBSTANDARD[/rating]

From Nikki on the CSR:

Way better than Xerch'de, AGB and even RoR, despite it being shorter...

And thats it, really. It was well-made, and like any TM scenario had me dissecting the text to find hidden meanings almost subconsciously. Which isn't a bad thing.

Also, for something amde in 12 hours, it's bloody brilliant.

So, [rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

Edit: I forgot to mention how great it looks - it's very dark (not only in terms of brightness), which is ace. TM really does deserve more credit for his town design.

From Lazarus on the CSR:

Interesting scenario. I agree with Nikki that TM's town design often goes unnoticed, and again he shines in BA-- probably the best part of the scenario. The dialog-- well it was written by TM, and in 12 hours no less (and apparently he was intoxicated.) All the 'friend' stuff made me feel like I was watching a twisted episode of Barney, but despite the fact that the characters sometimes sounded like hippies, the dialog was still alright. In an odd way it kind of added to the creepy atmosphere.

Felt kind of like Corp-- just not as good.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]