Darkness

Mac/Windows

Author: Ephesos

Difficulty: 20-30

Version: 1.1.0 (7-29-07)

[composite=eyJ0aXRsZSI6IkRhcmtuZXNzIiwidGlkIjoiMTIzMDgiLCJ0YWdzIjpbIjI0LWhvdXIiLCJhdmVybnVtIHVuaXZlcnNlIiwiY29tYmF0IGhlYXZ5IiwiZHVuZ2VvbiBjcmF3bCIsInNob3J0Il0sImJnYXNwIjp7IjUiOjAsIjQiOjAsIjMiOjcsIjIiOjEsIjEiOjB9fQ==]

Composite Score: 2.9/5.0

Best: 0.00% (0/8)

Good: 0.00% (0/8)

Average: 87.50% (7/8)

Substandard: 12.50% (1/8)

Poor: 0.00% (0/8)

[encouragenecro]

[/composite]

Keywords: Avernum Universe, Dark, Combat Heavy, Dungeon Crawl, Short, 24-Hour Scenario

Edited by SylaeBot
Automated Sybot edit; worker IPB::csrThread/vanadium

• 4 weeks later...

Darkness is a scenario designed in twenty-four hours for the first Twenty-Four hour contest.

For a 24-hour scenario, Darkness is surprisingly long. I for one was surprised when it kept on going after the second level. As an aside, for a scenario designed by Ephesos, Darkness is not stunningly beautiful. But ugly it ain't either. It's just Avernum and Avernum isn't supposed to be beautiful. Still, I am certain that with a little more polish Darkness could have looked better.

What I liked: There was a nature lore check: it's always nice when a designer bothers to make something like that. I liked how the Chitrach cave was only partially lit. It was also nice how the chitrachs avoided my party. The final fight had some interesting tricks. The dark mist was also pretty neat.

What I didn't care for: It seemed to me that I could not free the chitrachs that were held captive. The big bad was kind of cliché. My biggest complaint is that my party, whose level was within the level range, did not gain a level while playing Darkness. Unless a scenario is a "story only" scenario then I feel that I should gain at least one level.

Rating: [rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

• 4 months later...

It's *alright*.... Which, is a little sad, really.

See, personally, Eph, Laz and TM were the only entrants I was bothered about in the contest this was designed for (no offence meant to anybody else, by the way), and having not played Laz's or TM's offerings yet, I was a bit excited about Darkness. But it's a bit... dull.

If we set aside the fact it looks bad (yes, it's not even *okay* in terms of appearance), and ignore the combat being boring (I *do* like combat if it's interesting...) then what do we have? A plot that's a bit... rubbishy.

I know this sounds like I hated the thing, but that's not fair. I liked it in some ways... The mist is a very cool idea, it had a few other nice ideas, and it was fairly sizeable for a 24 hour scenario...

So, I'm going to rate this as [rating]AVERAGE[/rating]. Though it pains me to do so.

• 3 months later...

I didn't care for this scenario at all, to be honest. It was basically just a hackthrough in one cave. The ending was a nice touch, and seemed like a pretty good re-creation from Avernum 2.

However, all the scenario had was a lot of hacking, little substance, and a pretty good fight at the end. In the end, however, not worth a whole lot.

I rate this scenario [rating]Substandard[/rating]

• 1 year later...

From TM on the CSR:

Darkness isn't that bad. I mean, it's a 24hr scenario, so it's not great. But with that said:

The plot is pretty "meh." I mean, there's a big, dark, demon, etc... but hey-- the dark mist was at least INTERESTING. It looked alright, used darkness interestingly, etc. I liked the ending; it was sarcastic enough for me to dig it. It was small, but solid. Play it.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Nioca on the CSR:

Get your torches.

No pitchforks required. A good 24HR entrant. It had good combat and an original (if not all that interesting) starting plot. However, there were also several major flaws in the scenario. First, once one got to the Elirok plot, it became cliche in a horrible way. Also, Ephesos decided to leave a very noticeable bug in place in the first dungeon, despite having it reported by players. The ending was great, though.

Finally, interestingly enough, it wasn't that pretty, despite being a scenario from Ephesos.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Jemand on the CSR:

Darkness isn't the greatest scenario ever, but who was expecting it to be? For something made in 24 hours, it's actually pretty big. The combat wasn't that interesting, and I thought that the final fight was a bit too hard, but I must agree the dark mist was interesting. I was also happy that someone made another scenario in Avernum.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Thralni on the CSR:

Yeah, what can I say? I liked it, but it's not brilliant. The fighting was not difficult (luckily), and the fighting with the shade-sort-of-things was quite interesting, as was already said. I don't have much to say about it for the rest.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Jewels on SV:

I was not that impressed. The story was not compelling and seemed very amateurish. The scripting and graphical effects were nice but I would have liked more light in the 'darkness' room just so I could actually see the effects that were going on.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]