Avernum 6 - August Update

Randomizer

Originally Posted By: Sss-Chah
anyway, am i right in assuming that there's a reason for the famine, or is it just happening?

The Blight is destroying the mushroom crops that provide the main food source for Avernum. There are several possible reasons for the cause of the Blight ranging from natural occurance to an evil plot by various likely suspects. So far after about a third of the game we don't know.

Originally Posted By: Earth2025
Originally Posted By: Randomizer

Shhhhhh, you aren't supposed to reveal the ending.

What ending? That Avernum travels past and meets Rentar et co again?

No, no, the Empire sends agents into the past to try to kill Rentar before she can strike them in the first place, thus allowing them to have won the war (at least in the new timeline they believe they are creating). But in fact they unwittingly set in motion a chain of events that causes the very outcome they are trying to prevent!

Bet you didn't see that coming.

Rentar-Ihrno resurrects Dorikas in order to spawn with him the demonic scions that will finally overthrow Avernum. For the win!

Or else it's the Mushroom King, who finally had enough of his subjects being harvested and ground into meal that wasn't even edible, but still counted as enough of a foodstuff to fulfill several minor quests.

Ugh the tiresome dealings with enemies that do nothing put poke and poison me. I thought the swampfolk in BOA looked cool but they might be need some photons for those chlorophyllic (not a word) arms. That would not be welcome. Now squashing Rentar aaaaannnnndddd Dorikas that's Indy-worthy

Ni

Actually I make an effort to bumble along casually when testing. I play on Normal with a default party with no special abilities, and don't try anything too fancy. If a fight takes trickery to win, I call it a balance problem. It's an immense and agonizing effort to restrain my towering tactical genius and play like a mere mortal. Only by constantly sucking back tequila shots can I manage to reduce my mad skillz to near-normal levels. But for the sake of Spiderweb Software I make even this sacrifice.

It's a good thing Jeff pays for the tequila.

Then later, once I know what's what, I try a torment singleton. So far — though that's not far at all — this is definitely doable in A6. But hard. As in A5, I advocate editing up Lores and even Tool Use to the sky when playing a singleton, because otherwise it's just too infuriating to be missing all the goodies after working so hard to survive and win. It's quite hard enough still this way.

To join the few and the proud, just sign up by e-mail next time Jeff advertises on the Spiderweb page. He is always looking for more testers, since there's some turnover. It's fun but it can be frustrating, since Jeff's betas are generally pretty good, but sometimes you hit stuff that is seriously borked. You have to remember that you're not exactly just playing.

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon
Tell me about it. I'm a more casual player myself, how does one get to become a beta tester?

Apply now since Jeff just posted in Announcements that he's looking for Mac beta testers. I have absolutely no idea what he looks for in testers except he wants people that will finish the game.

Since Apple released Snow Leopard, he is checking to see how the game runs on the new operating system,

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
I try a torment singleton. So far — though that's not far at all — this is definitely doable in A6.

I tried it through the first few areas and it is doable but very boring plinking away at the monsters while conserving spell energy. I'm holding off until later in testing in case Jeff makes any more changes to the game after the new beta testers start complaining.

My only concern is increasing intelligence enough to deal with the few specials that have terror area effects scripted into their attacks. Jeff makes those attacks alway occur even when the monster loses its other attacks.

I suppose with careful playing you can postpone them until you have time to do it.

Some of those area effect attacks are really bad on torment for my regular 4 character party.

Yeah, I try to avoid these. I haven't been hit with too many AoE effects, because I hit and run a lot, and thus manage not to be in the area.

I did get terrorized once, and survived. The monster was dying faster than I was at that point.

On the other hand I'm going to be pumping Int quite a bit for the spells, anyway. But I'm hanging on to every mental defense item I find, just in case.

I'll have to go back and try again after I finish catching up with my second party. I figured after a certain point when you can do more spellcasting things would get easier.

Too bad the best items for a singleton are rewards for very hard quests. I'm waiting for the next beta because Jeff's suppose to fix an item that will make it easier for a singleton to get that great armor with the mind resistance effect.

Originally Posted By: Sleeping Dragon
Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Jeff's problem is his beta testers are abnormal. smile
Tell me about it. I'm a more casual player myself, how does one get to become a beta tester?

One thing is for certain ... it IS NOT by posting private beta test information in the public forums ...