A Small Rebellion

A Small Rebellion

Author: Jeff Vogel

Difficulty: Levels 9-20

Version: 1.0

[composite=eyJ0aXRsZSI6IkEgU21hbGwgUmViZWxsaW9uIiwidGlkIjoiMTIyMTciLCJ0YWdzIjpbXSwiYmdhc3AiOnsiNSI6MCwiNCI6MTUsIjMiOjEsIjIiOjAsIjEiOjB9fQ==]

Composite Score: 3.9/5.0

Best: 0.00% (0/16)

Good: 93.75% (15/16)

Average: 6.25% (1/16)

Substandard: 0.00% (0/16)

Poor: 0.00% (0/16)

[encouragenecro]

[/composite]

Edited by SylaeBot
Automated Sybot edit; worker IPB::csrThread/IRIDIUM

This is probably the best of the scenarios that came with the four default scenarios. It offers a fairly linear plot with a major branch point near the end where you get to decide whether to serve the Empire or the Rebellion. This is good because it offers replay value. I do wish the branch point would have came a bit earlier and more choices were given in the earlier part of the game. I just saved where I had to make my decision and just reloaded to play both sides.

The plot is definitely good and the town design is not lacking. I really liked some of the cutscenes. They are primitive by what we see today, but good examples. This scenario is an example of what to do. It's not one of the greats, but it definitely deserves acclaim.

I also think it was the best of the four. However, I also thought it was a step down from the Blades of Exile version of A Small Rebellion. And quite frankly, the Exile version, while still the best of the three scenarios that came with the game, is vastly overrated.

The story did not really seem that interesting, because there wasn't any real conflict between the Rebels and the Empire, it seemed more like Jeff wanted to have a scenario with two sides to play. The Rebels just seemed like the average cookie cutter villains, just this time you can join them. Still, the idea of choosing paths is a good one, and I really appreciated that some BoE scenarios (e.g. Of Good and Evil, Spears) could put this to good use.

It may sound like I'm reviewing the BoE version, but really, the two versions seem almost identical. One thing I will say, Creator mentioned this years back, is that when fighting Stalker, there was a drawn out cutscene of the villains discussing what to do with you. Why not just attack while they're doing this.

That being said, I have not played the Rebel's side in the BoA version, only in the BoE version. Feel free to dismiss the review if you don't think I've played enough to fairly evaluate it.

I rate this scenario [rating]Average[/rating].

• 3 weeks later...

I've only played this and VoDT, but I don't think either of the remaining two scenarios could top A Small Rebellion. The plot was so exciting that I couldn't stop playing until I got to the very end. The writing to go along with the plot was also very good.

The town and outdoor design was very good, and I especially liked the combat. Sometimes I had to go into the character editor to fix my party to beat certain battles. At the last battle with Stalker I was almost pulling my hair out. I had tried putting endurance to 20 before I realized I could charm Stalker and have him attack everyone else while getting steadily worn down.

I absolutely enjoyed this scenario. Rank: [rating]Good[/rating]

• 1 year later...

From an unknown reviewer at the CSR:

Decent plot. Not-so-decent game-play. The Creator's criticism of the "fill-in" dungeons in the first version applies all the more here -- at least they were a mild challenge in BoE. So I'll say it sets the mark for high quality scenarios to surpass.

[rating]GOOD[/rating]

From TM at the CSR:

My problems with the last version (ie. dungeon slogs) are still here, and the scenario is majorly monty haul (as was VotDT), leading challenges to slide down a bit in difficulty. Rather than asking, "How can I stay alive?", I asked myself, "How can I smother my opponents without wasting one of my Energy Potions/Elixirs?". No lie, I had +20 potions and +5 elixirs in this scenario. Zaskiva Sewers were still irritating. Stalker and Jaen were both fairly easy, and the boss fights in general were all a bit redundant- Fire arrows, fire Bolts of Fire, bless occasionally. A few of the fights were almost easier than some of the fights in VotDT. That aside, the plot is executed well as per the first version. In this version, however, there is greater potential for cutscenes that remains untapped. In such an action-packed scenario, the lack of movies is nothing short of a travesty. Raise your hand if you think a scene of Lord Volpe being slain would be neat.

That aside, I almost agree with Stareye- it's a ****** good scenario by most people's standards, but with the potential of BoA, I expected more. Compared to BoE, it's probably better, but compared to what BoA has to offer and its insane complexity, the corner-cutting Jeff committed here shouldn't be rewarded.

[rating]GOOD[/rating]

I liked it. Good plot -- moral ambiguity, my goodness! What am I to do? -- good fights -- the raid on Stalker was *hard*, possibly because I play on Torment -- and good scripting -- boom! boom! explosions in Zaskiva!

That said, these were all good, not excellent. *raises hand to agree with TM that a movie of Lord Volpe dying would be cool* More cutscenes would have been nice, or at the very least, longer ones where they already existed. A lot of the things that were cool about this scenario in BoE, like the fast-paced descriptions in dialogs, became reasons that this scenario was inadequate in BoA.

As with every good Jeff Vogel work (Exiles, Avernums, and Geneforges included), the plotline was the reason to play the scenario. The flashy effects are secondary. But I think that considering the engine, the BoA version of ASR is inferior to the BoE version, because BoA can do so much more that was directly relevant.

Fun, but could've been better.

[rating]GOOD[/rating]

I couldn't decide whether I didn't like ASR in BoA as much as I did in BoE was because of the fact that I was more unfamiliar with the Avernum engine or whether it just wasn't as good.

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and go with [rating]GOOD[/rating]

From Linthar at the CSR:

Definitely a good scenario, had a lot of fun playing it. The plot is the best part, a choice of which side to join, and while your at it a moral dilemma. I went with the rebells, and there weren't any battles that were to tough except escaping from Jaen's fort. That was basicly a running battle as I went around the south side of the fort low on resources. Did I mention that I hate empire archers.

Combat was nice, some nice dungeons (I enjoyed the second level of the fort with the ogres which is the first quest. Listening to the drake pondering about how I was doing so well was fun.)

[rating]GOOD[/rating]

From miluk at the CSR:

I didn't like the "moral dilemma", I felt I was being given a lesson.

Some kind of lightness, which is present in Vogel's other works, wasn't present here very much. I don't like fighting for evil, especially if there's no humor.

The BoA version felt a bit less black-and-white, or should I say black-and-black than the BoE version. (Though I don't remember the latter so well, so I may be wrong.) Sometimes I felt the characters weren't diverse enough. Maybe the heavier style would require more depth than usual to keep my interest up.

Some of the dungeons also seemed uninteresting or at least not so well connected to with plot.

However, I seem to recall the fights, treasure balance etc. were good enough (on BoA standards). Though I criticize this scenario, it wasn't such a boring experience to play it. Occasionally it was very interesting.

[rating]GOOD[/rating]

First of all, this is my second scenario. I can only compare to Valley of Dying Things (which is very.. meh..), and to some of the other Avernum games.

"The BoA version felt a bit less black-and-white, or should I say black-and-black than the BoE version."

This, I think, is the very best part of it. The fact that you cannot be truly good and cannot truly win (as is pointed out in the last message box), fills this scenario with a tension and anxiety that is very disturbing and unsettling - a thing many find irritating it seems. I, however, really liked being forced into some of the decisions I took - it made me feel so much more part of the story, although, I agree I didn't shape much of it.

You're basically just taken along this ride, but then I's a fun ride smileold.gif

I'll give it a rating of [rating]GOOD[/rating]- which doesn't really say that much anyway..

From Thralni at the CSR:

I generally liked it, not always, but enough. I think the moral dillemma was well executed. When I played it through first, I *was* sort of scared to help the rebels, so I helped the Empire. Upon my second time through, I chose for the rebels, which was quite interesting, I must say. I liked town design, as per usual. I also like the Zaskiva sewers. I always seem to like Jeff's sewers, for some reason. I find them to be cosy after clearing out all monsters.

As TM said, though, more cutscenes would have been welcome, which is actually my only real critisism. So:

[rating]GOOD[/rating]

From Nioca at the CSR:

Despite what it makes itself out to be, this is actually a fairly linear scenario. The only real difference between the two sides is the final fight and dungeon. Heck, even the ending sequences are practically carbon copies of each other (in fact, where you leave from and where you get the final reward from are almost identical). The gameplay was good, though it could have used a bit more action. The moral dilemma was nice as well, but this was not as it was advertised to be.

[rating]GOOD[/rating]

From Enraged Slith at SV:

This was the very first scenario I played after registering (which was after I beat VoTD for the first time). I remember feeling a little overwhelmed about where to go, but I still enjoyed the experience of wandering the world. There is no clear cut "right answer" in this scenario, which is a refreshing change of pace from a lot of games though nothing new in Spiderweb Software world. This scenario is like Jeff's other works in that it doesn't try to be anything but standard. Fortunately, the standard turned out to be really interesting this time around.

[rating]GOOD[/rating]

• 2 years later...