Housekeeping: Revised Blades of Avernum Ratings System

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sad. frown

To expand upon the above thought: This is insane. Either we shouldn't list joke scenarios, or we should make them an exception to "official" scoring. I.e.: they should not qualify for the Quality Scenarios lists. I do not like outright deleting reviews, regardless of the circumstances.

That wasn't really why it moved. There was discussion of ways to improve it, and then *i acted on the discussion. Nobody else was actually acting, and SV was starting to lose traffic anyway, so the move had a sort of passive consensus behind it.

I understand the reasoning behind keeping the review threads to just serious reviews, but maybe this was not the best way to handle things. It seems a bit odd that joke reviews with joke ratings were allowed to stay, but joke reviews not designed to contaminate the ratings system were not.

The BoA Community

I personally don't have a problem with the reviews as long as the scenario is not listed on the quality/top scenario list. If its a joke scenario with joke reviews, perhaps it should get a subcategory of its own. I mean, there's only like 3 or 4 joke scenario's ever made in BoA, and if not that, there should be some sort of obvious indication that the scenario is a joke scenario and not a "real" scenario, for the BoA lurkers and people looking at the reviews.

Of course, that puts scenario's like Nobody's Heroes in an awkward position. It's clearly a scenario based on humor, so technically speaking, you can call it a "joke" scenario. But its clearly well thought out, well designed, and for all intents and purposes a "real" scenario. Unless I'm confusing "Humor" with "Joke" and that they mean something different.

Originally Posted By: Ackrovan
Unless I'm confusing "Humor" with "Joke" and that they mean something different.

They mean something different. Humor scenarios like Nobody's Heroes and Kill Them Dead are actual scenarios that are funny. Joke scenarios like Kill Prize, Win Ogre or one of the several "shortest scenarios ever" floating around aren't actual scenarios.

Come to think of it, there aren't any joke scenarios listed in the review section except, apparently, To Hell in a Handbasket. (Though Dikiyoba has not played it and so has no first-hand knowledge of the scenario.)

See, now I feel bad. My original comment was mainly aimed at how the scenario had been given serious scores and would presumably be added to the Quality Scenarios list, not the content of the reviews. Slithy's review, I thought, was actually really funny, and wasn't the kind of review I was complaining about, since it didn't give a score. Deleting it was excessive, and doing it with no warning (didn't Synergy get a chance to change his review when it was going to be deleted?), is wrong.

Long and short of it is that I feel like a d**k. Sorry for bringing this up everybody. frown

If you want to make jokes about scenarios or comment on reviews or something, make a thread in the regular BoA forum, not a ratings post. Ratings posts are ratings posts. The goal is to help players figure out which scenarios to play, and to give designers feedback. If you're not doing that, do whatever you're doing in BoA discussion, not ratings. Since, after all...

Click to reveal..
SeriousCat.jpg

Saying "you need a rating or the review will be removed" would probably be how I'd have worded the post in fairness, but if you feel you gave sufficient warning, then that's your call. I've no interest in seeing this dragged out, in either case; my next post here will be announcing Discord/asking for it to be added to the review board. <3

Quote:
joke reviews with joke ratings, that distort the function and purpose of the ratings

They don't necessarily, if treated properly (obviously handled as jokes, not mixed with serious ratings, or not with serious ratings of serious things, etc.). Whether it is practical to so treat them is the real question.

Yes, but that applies double to joke reviews without ratings as well. They can't distort the ratings. And since it has already been decided to dispose of those, the fact that you can do a little dance to prevent joke reviews with joke ratings from distorting the ratings is not much of a defense for them...

My thoughts really haven't changed since this response. Specifically,

Quote:
Any member of the community now has a feel of which recent scenarios are good, and which are not. But five years down the road, that will not be the case for newcomers. The main purpose of CSR is to hold reasonably accurate ratings for older scenarios in a central location, so that newcomers with no background knowledge know how best to plan their time.

(Note that I'm saying this as a CSR user, not a CSR contributor. It's something I'd like to remedy in the near future, but still...)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That would be great. Any reason in particular you have selected that breakdown?

Perhaps we should do a simple analysis using the composite rankings of BoE scenarios at ShadowVale. I propose the following:

Best = Top 5%

Good = Top 20%

Average = Top 50%

Substandard = Top 75%

Poor = Below

I pick these because BoE has a lot of mediocre and outright bad scenarios having a fairly shallow learning curve. I would advocate a more generation system for BoA.

A quick calculation (assuming I counted right) this yields the following:

Best: 9.0 - 10.0

Good: 7.6 - 8.9

Average: 5.7 - 7.5

Substandard: 2.7 - 5.6

Poor: 1.0 - 2.6

Comments?

• 1 year later...

For what it's worth, I am converting the old CSR BoA scenario reviews. I am following a pretty basic rubric for the conversion. Since the old system was a 10-point system, and the new system is a 5-point system, I am simply dividing the old number by 2 and rounding, so:

Poor (1) = 1.0-2.8

Substandard (2) = 2.9-4.8

Average (3) = 4.9-6.8

Good (4) = 6.9-8.8

Best (5) = 8.9-10

I know it is theoretically possible to have a rating of <1 with the old system, but to the best of my knowledge, it never actually happened.