Predicaments

Did i spell the title right? eh who cares

Lol i was playing A4 and was heading to rentars keep (First full version playthrough) And i now find myself Surrounded By shades golems and adventurers. lol it got so bad i had to cheat to live frown

i wonder Whats the Nastiest lil trap youve fallen into?

Btw i only had 1 party mem left. Lol..

When I first used the Orb of Thralni in the Avernum series, there were several times when I saved the game with only one space of flying left--with two or more spaces before I could land safely. I didn't realize it gave only five flying moves, not six like the Exile trilogy.

In E3, I kept making the mistake of going through the central garden in the Tower of Magi when the disaster occurs.

In my first (and only) playthrough of E1, I went to fight Hawthorne way too soon, and got hacked into bite-sized pieces.

Here's a really good one: Ever try to escape from the center of a town that's completely engulfed in quickfire?

Using not quite enough brooches in A1. That's no fun, especially without a recent save.

—Alorael, who also isn't a fan of saving after not doing the crystal part of killing Vahkos in A3. That can ruin your day, especially if you recall yourself to Fort Emergence before realizing you've been cursed.

This isn't that thrilling, but the nastiest trap my party's literally fallen into was in the giant castle in (I think) Avernum 1. You're standing on the floor of the main entrance when it opens up and drops you into the basement. I was low on health and mana and didn't know if I could get out safely. So I created a secondary save and worked off of that.

Pretty boring, I know. But the memorable thing about it was the dialog box that comes up when your party is outwitted and dropped down. Instead of a simple 'OK' options, you get 'Oops'. Ever since it's been a tradition to title my secondary saves for any game 'oops'.

Forgot to mention earlier: Got caught between Giants and troglos in E3. Not fun.

Originally Posted By: Streets lined with bad metaphors
—Alorael, who also isn't a fan of saving after not doing the crystal part of killing Vahkos in A3. That can ruin your day, especially if you recall yourself to Fort Emergence before realizing you've been cursed.
I've always done the crystal part in both E3 and A3, and have always been curious as to what happens if you don't.

The troglos and giants are an inevitable predicament built into the game.

—Alorael, who now remembers that getting dumped into Nociduas's pit in A4 seemed fine until he realized that he'd saved, there was no exit, and there was a rather tough fight in front of him. The Emerald Chestguard made it all worthwhile, though.

Originally Posted By: Remarkable Dispensation
The troglos and giants are an inevitable predicament built into the game.

—Alorael
I know that; It's just that on my first time through, I went in completely unprepared for the giant/troglo battle, kept getting killed, and had to (massively) cheat to escape. That was the predicament.

Nociduas isn't hard eventually, but when you can first reach him he's rather more difficult than anything you have faced or will face for quite some time.

—Alorael, who doesn't believe he's ever faced Nociduas with Lightning Spray. He has used invulnerability from potions and elixirs, two mages, two fighters, and crossed fingers.

Lightning Spray is Very Usefull againsT Demons and undead. And probably the best spell you can use against him at that point.

Also I have another predicament

I was running My slith perfectionist save and realized I couldent beat the fourth test!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. Had to scrap it. frown

Originally Posted By: Remarkable Dispensation
Nociduas isn't hard eventually, but when you can first reach him he's rather more difficult than anything you have faced or will face for quite some time.
Yeah, most of the predicaments I found myself in in Avernum 5 involved fighting these types of bosses too early. I remember being painfully underprepared for the slith lord guy and trying, like, ten times to beat him before finally beginning the long trek back to civilization in defeat.

Hmm, i don't remember which game. Mighta been A2, i had a party that was still too low-level to handle the action in the Dharmon/Patrick's Tower area. I figured as long as i stayed out of any of the dungeons i'd be alright. Wrong: I ended up running into a band of Gremlins that wiped the floor with me. Worse yet, i had saved just before running into them. No matter how many times i reloaded, i couldn't avoid them. I finally ended up using the character editor to give myself a boost long enough to withstand them. I don't remember now whether i ended up raising my resistance directly through stats or if i just gave myself some potions.

P.S. What is the proper name for a multiple of Gremlins: herd, tribe, profusion? I rather like calling such a group a 'panic'.

They're intelligent humanoids, so presumably it depends on their social structure. If they're a raiding party, you'd call them that rather than a tribe. Perhaps the raiding party would be party of a larger tribe or other sort of society. I'd imagine they're not tribe-forming, however, and they seem to gather mainly for the sake of partying. Note the disco suits.

A1: Went up against Grah-Hoth with Repel Spirit only at level 2. Ugly.

A1 again: Had all my spell points drained by mung demons immediately after getting the royal seal.

A2: Got killed by demons shortly after picking up Demonslayer. Oh, the irony.

E3: Got trapped by moving floors in golem factory.

A3: Got trapped by impassable lasers in golem factory.

I remember in A1 getting nailed by the mung demons after getting the royal seal. It was my only save and I barely got my two fighters out of there after my spellcasters died. Took a few tries and I used almost every potion healing.

A3 playing an Anama singleton - my first time in the golem spire reaching the top only to find out the most effective way to damage the brain wasn't available to me. I have to retry that fight when I can do more physical damage and have two more bonus AP items.

You can actually avoid that fight except for maybe a few rounds when you're in range. Pushing mirrors around lets you focus lasers on enemies, and when those enemies are immobile they die fairly quickly.

—Alorael, who isn't sure if this is intentional or not. It makes for one of the more interesting victories in the original trilogy, though, so he'll take it.

Originally Posted By: Reconozco fortaleza
Pushing mirrors around lets you focus lasers on enemies, and when those enemies are immobile they die fairly quickly.

—Alorael, who isn't sure if this is intentional or not. It makes for one of the more interesting victories in the original trilogy, though, so he'll take it.
Hence the sweet revenge I mentioned. grin Plus, I find the E3 fight to be relatively easy compared to the rest of the dungeon.