dumb question - what exactly do weaopn "bonuses" work?

ixfd64

Quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:
Specifically, every point of bonus is +5% to hit and +1 to damage. In general, the damage bonus is a lot more useful than the to-hit bonus, since it's relatively easy to get enough weapon skill that you hit all the time.
Thanks for the advice. I don't think I made a bad choice when I dropped my magic bow (+4 bonus) for an archer's bow (+3 bonus, +7 defense). smile

Quote:
Originally written by Desert Pl@h:
Does one get a damage bonus for using a bow with a high bonus?
I believe the answer to this is "no", although I'm not completely sure.

Quote:
I thought that the damage bonus is 1.XXXX times the level of the weapon…? (That's not a question, but…)
I'm not sure where you got that idea.

Bows have an accuracy based on level and enhanced by bonuses. Arrows have a damage based on level and enhanced by bonuses (ALONG WITH ACCURACY, which means if the choice is between an OK bow with a good bonus and good arrows with an OK bonus, the latter are probably the better bet).

None of this applies to slings, which behave like normal melee weapons, or thrown missiles, which do as well (in addition to being drained per shot, I mean).

Quote:
Originally written by WST ben:
Well, it seems that bonus in valued at MUCH more than level. Like if I have a 1-17+0 weapon and a 1-8+3 weapon, the latter will be valued much more, only the maximum theoretical damage is much lower. And then it ends up doing much more than 11 damage with a good hit. Kinda weird to me.
Well, the reason you're doing more than 11 damage with a 1-8+3 weapon is likely that you're also getting bonuses from high Strength.

As for why steel weapons are so very much more expensive than bronze, well, steel is rare in Exile.