Exile I - Windows Vista - "NTVDM.exe is not responding"

BimmyLee

So I read up a little on why the Exile games have compatibility issues with Vista, and what I gathered was that it has to do with the games being 16-bit applications and the OS being 32-bit. Nonetheless, I got the games running via compatibility mode, but there seems to be one last hurdle...

I am currently playing Exile I, and quite often the game will crash (but only during combat, usually during spell casting of some sort), and a window will appear, stating that "NTVDM.exe is not responding." In the aforementioned reading-up, I learned that this is a program necessary for running older apps in Vista. So why is it being so fussy? Is there a way to get around it?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

• 2 weeks later...

NTVDM.exe always exists on 32-bit Windows Vista. And, the program wouldn't even launch at all if it were missing. The problem is that NTVDM, with each successive release of Windows, has gotten more and more restricted for stability purposes. It is because of this that some installers don't even work on Windows Vista. 64-bit versions of Windows do not have NTVDM, so none of the Exile series will run on it.

• 7 years later...

Hi, I know this is an ancient topic, but I have exactly the same problem with Exile III on Win7 (32-bit). I've tried looking around the internet for a solution, but no dice. Has someone by any chance found a solution to this in the meantime?

Funny thing is, I don't seem to have the problem with Exile I, but only Exile III.