Photo Thread Reborn

Balladeer

After looking through all the birds in NC (again) I'm going to go ahead and say that they were blue jays, and they just appeared gray because they were in the shade and about 20 feet off the ground from where I was standing.

I've actually witnessed a Blue Jay make a similar call, and there are no other birds that sound anything like it. Oddly enough, I can't find a record on the internet of Jays making that sound either, so I'm just going to go with my personal knowledge and tear my hair out as I obsessively try to find or record some record of this.

Also not pictured, a squirrel carrying a Camellia in full bloom and Heron perched neatly in a tree. I really need to start bringing a nice camera with me everywhere I go.

I found a huge wolf spider by my feet and tried to take a few pictures after I captured the beast. It was a beautiful photo opportunity, but I'm a lousy photographer and I didn't feel like removing the plastic barrier to get a better shot (it didn't help that my body was shaking from the adrenalin at the time).

Hungry like the wolf

After the photo shoot, this thing didn't even look scared anymore. It just chilled out and started cleaning its very easy-to-distinguish fangs. I've never seen a pair of fangs like that on a bug before. Here's a picture for the size comparison.

We have large bugs/insects in the Carolinas, just look up the Eastern Dobsonfly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Semi-bump.

I don't often post here (though I do follow the thread), but I recently (as in, I got back on Friday) went to Paris and took lots of touristy pictures. I did also take some non-touristy ones, but I'm stuck with rubbish internet at the moment, so I can only really share the ones I've already uploaded to Facebook. Luckily, there is an amazing one I took floating in here too:

247311_10150176623013990_504893989_68202

250337_10150176623668990_504893989_68202

230194_10150176630198990_504893989_68203

247742_10150176628933990_504893989_68203

...and the one most people I've shown have liked the best (in Père Lachaise Cemetery, which I visited to go and see Oscar Wilde's grave):

246877_10150176624928990_504893989_68202

What, no Invalides? That's my favorite Parisian landmark. Well, that or Sacre Coeur. Although given my profession, it really should be the Eiffel Tower, but I tend to save my admiration for Eiffel instead of his tower. Have I mentioned how Eiffel was a genius? He really was. The entire tower is literally perfect, from an engineering standpoint. Nearly perfectly efficient use of materials (were the metal melted down over the footprint, it would only be about 3 inches thick!), combined with incredible load-bearing capacities and a very pleasing aesthetic appeal, too. Fantastic.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
What, no Invalides? That's my favorite Parisian landmark.

225343_10150179341818990_504893989_68446

I walked along the Seine from the Eiffel Tower to Notre Dame Cathedral (in ridiculous heat, but damn, it was amazing), and took a couple of pictures of Invalides on the way. smile

I also went to Sacre Couer - I stayed really close to Montmarte, and visited there twice in my stay (and the cafe from Amelie too, which is alos in Montmarte. smile

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I might as well post some of my recent stuff here:

Mountains (There's been some forest fires around here, making the mountains smokey)

Some pictures of the honeybees. This is the first year we'll have honey, even though we've had bees for the last three or four years. Had a lot of bad luck, but it seems to finally be paying off.

Originally Posted By: Sylae
I might as well post some of my recent stuff here:

Mountains (There's been some forest fires around here, making the mountains smokey)

Some pictures of the honeybees. This is the first year we'll have honey, even though we've had bees for the last three or four years. Had a lot of bad luck, but it seems to finally be paying off.

I'm sure your neighbours appreciate the services your bees provide. smile

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That cat looks JUST like my 6 week kitten. His name is angus. He was named after angus young from ACDC black album. My father insisted. I call him either Dark, or Blacky.

My corner streets are migration grounds for whooping cranes. Every year at the same time, I see some top red headed whooping cranes just stalking down the street slowly.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Since I saw Diki's desktop in the other thread and when I was there last year. So I thought I should add some photos from my Oregon coast trip last year for everyone to enjoy.

Banana Slug

Flower

WWII Look Out

Looking down on Devil's Churn

Crashing Waves

Devil's Churn

Oyster Catcher

Orchard Starfish

Blood Starfish

Originally Posted By: Tunnel and Sky Collide

I really like this one.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba

I like this. Very Ansel Adams-y.

Originally Posted By: Actaeon

I like these two a lot! What kind of camera do you have?

Oof, I wish I had some more of my photography. It's all on my hard drive which is fairly inaccessible at the moment since it is formatted to work with a Mac, and I only have a Windows running lappy at the moment. I'll go see what I have.

Smaller ones I'll post, bigger ones I'll link.

DSC08055.jpg Angel

Earthcolddeadblue2copy1.jpgThe Earth is Not a Cold, Dead Place

Awwdabooboo

Six Days at the Bottom of the Ocean

Birth and Death of the Day

The Only Moment We Were Alone/Your Hand in Mine (terrible crop job, I've a better copy elsewhere)

Originally Posted By: Yuna Corne

I like these two a lot! What kind of camera do you have?

The original digital rebel. It's starting to frustrate me, honestly, as I am surrounded by much better equipped (and all around better) photographers.

However, if you liked the cowboy...
Have a cattle drive.

And a return to the antisocial photographer with...
A generic cloud shot.

• 2 months later...

Way too many beautiful vacation pictures to pick from.

However, a few of my favorites are in this album, and some extra favorites among those below:

Steep coast. This is way more awesome than the craziest landscapes I've ever made in Terragen.

Anemone. (Probably. We saw about five different purple flower species so I'm not sure I got this one right.)

Goat kid taking a nap. (Adorability warning)

Canyon.

• 1 month later...

I got to go kayaking with my brother yesterday (he took these pictures since he had the dry bag). We went just over 12 miles round trip, going upstream from where Palouse River enters the Snake River all the way to the Palouse River lower falls. Just so you know, there is this video about the falls you can watch.

Turtle on a rock

Palouse River Canyon is very pretty.

Canyon wall

Palouse River Falls

• 2 weeks later...