Geneforge 5, says registration code is invalid

forever_disenchanted

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
How on earth would entering a code you already have give Spiderweb any additional information about the fact that you want updates?

game contacts to spidweb to see if there are updates and if there is then it informs player that updates available loosen up your wallet. tongue

game won't work w/o netconnection since it needs to get to net always when its on.

Okay, but what does entering the number have to do with that? You could also just hit the "Check for Updates" button like in just about every other program with that feature.

—Alorael, who is also pretty sure that charging for updates and only working with an internet connection are frequent deal-breakers. Spiderweb doesn't have so many customers that it start alienating them wholesale. That's probably while Irony Central doesn't get big links all over the Spiderweb site.

I can't quite parse that sentence, but I still don't see what entering an obvious code would add to that. It still seems like any default features should just be available and any add-on features could be activated either over the internet or by entering a code generated from the serial/registration number. That's exactly the system that Jeff's games already use.

—Alorael, who can even see thinking of BoA as a small game (Valley of Dying Things) that's automatically registered. You pay extra for the scenario editor and access to other scenarios.

I think there was a confusion over the term registration initially. There are certain software which require you to register as a customer on their website to get additional benefits like auto updates. It sounds like Earth2025 was originally referring to it. However, i am as baffled as you as to what he's been trying to say since.

Originally Posted By: Wiz
I think there was a confusion over the term registration initially. There are certain software which require you to register as a customer on their website to get additional benefits like auto updates. It sounds like Earth2025 was originally referring to it.

We know that. But registration usually involves sending some information back to the producer of the software, not just typing in a code that the program itself gives you!