A lil dilemma...

Hi everyone,

i'm kinda new here, obviously...so please be easy on me~ hmm...juz having a lil bit of dilemma rite now...hope u guys could help!

Ah...it's about a choice actually. Between 2 games.

Avernum 2. Avernum 4.

I've played Exile 3, Geneforge 1/2, Avernum 3 a -long long- time ago, so i'm not really a beginner...but lately my time is fairly limited, because of this..affliction..called The Real Life. So between those two, n judging from the games i've played, which one do u guys think i should focus on? Or rather, try to play all the way to the end...

Hmm...from what i've heard, Avernum 4 is really great on combat, but not really plot-wise....n there're also some minor annoyances i've heard here n there in the forums - the Pokemon-like "death" system for example. I'm not totally against it, though it -is- a lil bit unrealistic....but let's not get into that shall we? smile

Ah...about Avernum 2. The story as we all know, is quite good. Very good in fact...but maybe the combat is a lil bland? At least when compared to Avernum 4....i looove to have some -real- strategies when fighting, n not juz the usual haste-bless-shield-whatever-wait manuever in every fight....

But then again, i can't really say much, as i've only played the demos of both game...n even so not even until the point of completion...because of time constraints and other stuff going on...so, last but not least...c'mon people, convince me! Sway me to your side!!! mad

Oh ya, thanks!

Avernum 2.

Many people like Avernum 4, apparently, and I'm not saying you shouldn't get both - especially if you played Geneforge and liked it - but Avernum 2 beats its successor hands down in story, immersion, game play and just plain avernum-ness. Ask here on the boards, and you will hear "A2" from just about everyone.

Edit: And that's just here on the A4 board. :p

Quote:
Originally written by Me.:
A2. I've won it, and I'll say that there is some immersive combat at the Ziggurat and that the plots start going rapidly downhill afterwards.
I agree that A2 is the right game, but calling the Ziggurat combat "immersive" seems strange. "Massive" is the word I'd use. I also can't quite fathom the plot going downhill afterwards, especially since you can more or less assault the Ziggurat in any order with regards to the other pieces of plot.

A2 has a better plot and the nice elevation system. Its combat isn't as varied or interesting as A4's on the whole, but I didn't groan every time I fought enemies, either. There are fewer incentives to abuse the skill system, and exploration is much more exploratory.

—Alorael, who also recommends Nethergate because Nethergate cannot be recommended enough.

The only gripe I had about A2 that was fixed in A4 was in combat you no longer needed to delay your actions. Being the last person to cast haste/slow makes no difference in A4.

A2 has a better plot and is more fun to play. Even knowing the plot from Exile 2 it was a blast. I did wish the final battle with Garzahd was a good as E2.

Click to reveal..

~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
As far west as possible through the vahnatai lands. Past some fort (I think it was called fort Haeldon or something like that). Through a tunnel and then deep in empire lands to recover either evidence of a crystal soul or a crystal soul itself.
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~