Who has the REAL OLD Exile: Escape From The Pit???

Carranzero

These are the graphics, but I think you need to muck with them to get them to work in Exile 1 v2.0.

EDIT: To anyone who's coming to this some years later, I've removed the broken links. New links are on the next page in the same topic. They're also at my website, the link to which is in my signature. E2 graphics are just below this post.

The addition of AP in later versions of E1 makes a huge difference, actually.

—Alorael, who is now no longer entirely sure that the original Exile had only one action per turn. That's how he remembers it, though, complete with nauseating jumps around the screen when enemies moved.

Slowing definitely made you lose every other turn. If I remember correctly, hasting gave an extra turn after the regular turn order, so the order went like this:

All party members

All monsters

Hasted party members

Hasted monsters

[Edit: ""Quotes"""]

—Alorael, who is quite sure that the only Exile available from Spiderweb is v2.0. On the other hand, he also found a true gem of a review snippet. "Exile 1.1's hefty file size may seem excessive, but Jeff Vogel's adventure game offers commercial-quality graphics, cool puzzles to solve, and a slew of characters to interact with." So spake MacWorld in the year 1995.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I was just poking at the CD-ROM that came with the book Tricks of the Mac Game Programming Gurus. The book is immensely, woefully out of date these days, but the CD is a veritable time portal back to early Macintosh gaming. Not only does it have the lovely, primitive Exile 1.1.3, but it also has Realmz 2.0, Mantra, and a whole bunch of other stuff I remember quite fondly from my Performa-using days.

I do wish I remembered where I wound up playing with a copy of Exile II pre-overhaul. Maybe that's just what it was like when I tried it.

Boy that dates me.

In the original version of Exile: Escape from the Pit you could select and cast any spell by just typing the letter of the spell before the spell window opened completely but if you had exactly 0 mana the window sort of wouldn't open in the first place. Your mana would be far in the negative anyways though.

Playing Exile 1 again I'm realizing that honestly very little changed from 1.0 to 2.0. Graphics and the introduction of AP seem to be about it...it doesn't have any of the niceties of later Exile games, 3 in particular, despite now sporting the same graphics. E.g., old-school casting dialogues, old-school randomly-enter-words-from-responses-and-hope-you-strike-it-lucky

dialogue system, that sort of thing. I'm not sure how much I'm willing to put up with these things anymore. Avernum starts to look more tempting.

Hmmmm. I actually didn't like Avernum - the movement was off putting to me - especially since I am very good at keypad movement. I got used to 2handed keyboard work via Civ and never looked back. the mouse work in Avernum made me grind my teeth in frustration. Perhaps I need to look at it again?

You can go for full keyboard control with Avernum as well. Numpad for movement with the alphabetical keys for various quick talk, get, etc. buttons.

Geneforge, on the other hand, does need a mouse to play.

More on the subject, I should still have the original Exile on a floppy disk somewhere, now if only my computer still had a floppy disk drive...

I'm profoundly grateful that the fact that my first Mac and first PC both came after the advent of the CD-ROM drive, thus making the vast majority of the software I ever acquired for either CD-based. Helps nostalgia ever so much.

And man...smaller spell list that's minus summoning and fields (my favorite ones), less friendly handling of locked doors, awkward item-information system....I'd never quite realized what phenomenal leaps in playability Exile III (the only one I played heavily) made.

I think I'm still hooked all over again.

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I might be able to get reallly reallly old ones that were released a million years ago that showed up on MacFormats. There's a slight problem though. They were all my dad's, and since neither of us have a mac, he left them at his old house, since it wasn't going to be rented out, and now there's a homeless guy squatting there.

• 1 year later...

I was just poking at the CD-ROM that came with the book Tricks of the Mac Game Programming Gurus. The book is immensely, woefully out of date these days, but the CD is a veritable time portal back to early Macintosh gaming. Not only does it have the lovely, primitive Exile 1.1.3, but it also has Realmz 2.0, Mantra, and a whole bunch of other stuff I remember quite fondly from my Performa-using days.

I do wish I remembered where I wound up playing with a copy of Exile II pre-overhaul. Maybe that's just what it was like when I tried it.

Boy that dates me.

We'll I'll be damned. I just pulled this off the shelf, disk still tucked in the back. Talk about a hundred blasts from the bast.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...