What's your favorite party?

I am about half way through A4 for my first time with a pretty standard 4 character party (2 slith pollarm users, a human mage and a human priest, and my mage is also a (low skilled) archer and (high skilled) lockpicker, and am thinking of starting a second party. I am looking for advice from other A4 fans.

Any ideas for another party? I am looking for interesting combinations, especially with archers. Any recomendations? Note I am not planning on trying to solo this game; I save and restart enough as it is. :-)

Quote:
Originally written by Xenodave:
I am about half way through A4 for my first time with a pretty standard 4 character party (2 slith pollarm users, a human mage and a human priest, and my mage is also a (low skilled) archer and (high skilled) lockpicker, and am thinking of starting a second party. I am looking for advice from other A4 fans.

Any ideas for another party? I am looking for interesting combinations, especially with archers. Any recomendations? Note I am not planning on trying to solo this game; I save and restart enough as it is. :-)
Myself, I tend to use four custom characters.
A human sword fighter with Natural Mage and enough mage and priest skill to cast War Blessing and Haste is my primary tank.
A human priest with enough priest skill to cast Smite, enough mage skill to cast Slow, low skill with polearms, and Natural Mage to wear good armor is my main healer/secondary tank.
A human wizard with enough mage skill to cast Icy Rain and enough priest skill to cast Protection, along with Natural Mage again just for the bonuses is my main wizard/second healer.
I round this out with a nephil archer with high tool use, Sharpshooter, and Nimble Fingers to get past any traps or locks.

Then I just increase their stats based on what I use them for or find lacking. It's not The Best Party, but it suits me just fine, and I usually take 2 positive traits, so Slith characters tend to be cost-prohibitive to me.

For A4, my favorite party was this:

Human priest/sword-wielding-warrior

Slith mage/spear-wielding-berserker

Nephil mage/archer/rogue

Human priest

All of these characters had the emphasis on the magic part (i.e.: my warrior could cast RETRIBUTION!!!), and it worked beautifully. Sadly, this was my second time through the game, and I couldn't maintain my interest past Fort Remote.

For A4 I used a custom party:

Nephil divine touch elite warrior - used as an archer

Slith divine touch elite warrior - pole weapon primarily

Human divine touch natural mage - primarily mage/thief

Human divine touch pure spirit - primarily priest

The spell casters start at 5/5 mage/priest to get all free spells. I want the priest to get up to lightning spray, but it isn't needed at the Eastern Gallery.

I tried doing a solo thing, but it sure didn't work out well, so I tried it with two. I then figured I'd need a 3rd guy to carry all my stuff. I ended up with (all custom, and no extra traits, BTW):

a figher/priest slith,

an archer/melee weapon figher/weak spellcaster nephil (with lockpicking-ness),

and a priest/mage human (with high strength).

It's going pretty well so far. I make a new character, load 'im with cave/arcane lore, and delete him afterwards whenever I need more of those stats, which is kinda cheaty, but saves me points nonetheless.