Strategy for battle with Hriknis (sp?)

MacProject

Northeast of Formella there's a crazy necromancer by the name of Hriknis (not sure how to spell his name, too early in the morning...) who fights your party with the aid of a green pylon plus some summoned undead creatures.

I've tried to finish him off several times and he's just too strong. My characters are all around level 10. It seems that if I attack the pylon, my characters get confused or cursed. If I destroy the pylon, Hriknis and his summoned creatures take acid damage. Yet, he's able to cast some pretty nasty spells which wipe my party out very quickly. I've tried casting Haste, shield and war blessing as well as summoning a few of my own beasts to provide some extra bodies.

I'm kind of stumped. BTW, I did manage to to clear that testing area not far from this Hriknis' lair so I'm not a total noob to the combat.

It depends on how much the Pylon is an annoyance to you. If it's the thing that debilitates you, focus on it. If it is Hickris that is killing you, focus on him.

Again, I don't have your party in front of me so it's really hard to say which one would be "better" because it depends on skills and equipment.

Hrickis' lightning will probably make summoning a sub-optimal use of your SP. Acid Spray is by far your most powerful attack spell at that stage, so use it. Haste and the other buffs are no-brainers. Also, it is probably worthwhile to Slow Hrickis as much as possible. Like most of the game's magic-users, he will waste a lot of time hasting himself, and if he doesn't, he'll get few attacks in.

What difficulty are you playing at?

Quote:
Originally written by Slartucker:
Hrickis' lightning will probably make summoning a sub-optimal use of your SP. Acid Spray is by far your most powerful attack spell at that stage, so use it. Haste and the other buffs are no-brainers. Also, it is probably worthwhile to Slow Hrickis as much as possible. Like most of the game's magic-users, he will waste a lot of time hasting himself, and if he doesn't, he'll get few attacks in.

What difficulty are you playing at?
I'm playing at "Normal" on my first time through.
I'll focus on using acid spray as well as following the other pointers. The trouble I seem to have is Hrickis' lightning can kill off most of my party rather quickly. Plus, he seems to summon plenty of undead creatures which makes things even tougher.

Position yourself so that you can see the pylon, but no Hrickis. Attack with a ranged attack (not your priest!). When/if the pylon terrifies you, cast unshacke mind with your priest. Attacking the pylon should also cause the undead zombies with slow to appear. When you've killed these, attack Hrickis, or heal and then attack him.