Report Your Stats Here (Uncle Spam Needs YOU!)

Synergy

I'm trying to get a gauge for how leveling up and eXperience Points operate over the course of a game with various XP penalties. Would anyone at any point in their game, especially further in, report the following basic stats?

Location: Eastern Gallery (3/4 through the quests in the area)

4 PCs, Levels: 15-16

XP Penalties: 25% - 35% each

Average XP earned per kill: chitrachs: 1-2 / cave widows: 6

As you might see from my current stats, even with significant XP penalties, not too far into the game XP for kills are low. At some point, I think these may jump up again. More data will better show the variations in how this will work.

Location: most of the way through the Eastern Gallery (visited every town and done most of the major quests)

4 PCs, levels 15-16

XP Penalties: 23-27%

Average XP earned per kill: 2-3 off chitrachs

The major variable determining my PCs' experience seems to be how often they die -- my fighter and mage, who are almost always alive at the end of a battle, have a little over half a level's worth of XP advantage over my priests, who are a little more fragile.

More to the point, why bother to report that? This is a statistics topic, not a survey topic.

On that note, I'm now just past the Tower of Magi and my party's at level 20-21. XP per kill isn't very high -- certainly less than 10 XP each off most things I'm fighting (ogres, lava bats). I'm finding the game fairly easy at this point -- melee-using opponents can barely touch my fighter, and his acid and poison resistance are both around 80%. The main challenge is in keeping my spellcasters out of harm's way, and with the occasional opponent that uses elemental attacks.

The biggest problem I've faced in the game so far was Nociduas, who absolutely slaughtered me many, many times before I discovered a strategy which allowed me to beat him within a couple of attempts. I probably should have just left him for later instead of charging in there with a level-17 party, but I'm stubborn.

I also got killed by Nociduas repeatedly. Winning was a matter of not letting the demon eat my casters, not letting Nociduas let loose several spells in one round because they could kill even fully healed fighters, and keeping my casters back to heal a lot.

—Alorael, who found the Testing Bones much easier (and much shorter!) in the final version than in the earlier betas. He still waited to get some cold resistance, Augmentation, and Prismatic Shield, but he's not sure it was strictly necessary.

Quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:
Thuryl, what difficulty level are you playing on?
Torment, of course. But it hardly seems to matter. With 10 Parry and over 80 armor, my fighter is basically a walking rock -- most attacks just plain don't hit him, and the ones that do hit inflict only negligible damage.

Quote:
And what was your trick for the Testing Bones? I had a devil of a time with that on my first run through on Normal, and now going back on Torment, it's coming up soon, and seriously ydrad.
Two things you probably know already: he sprays ice on you if you're anywhere inside the room, and he won't follow you outside the room. Now, as you also probably know, if you just go and hide around the corner, the test eventually complains that you haven't taken enough attacks and flunks you -- but it only keeps track of his physical attacks, not the icy spray.

So if you stand your fighter just one space outside the room and hide everyone else around the corner, he can reach you to attack you, but he can't spray ice on you. Sneaky, but effective. (You know you're in the right position when you've travelled just far enough down the hallway so that you can talk to the bones and start the test.)

I used a similarly sneaky strategy to finally beat Nociduas. Before taking him on, be sure to find and drink from the water basin that gives you elemental resistance. Drinking some Armor Potions, and using either Augmentation or Augmenting Potions, is a good idea too -- no harm in having all the HP you can get.

Once the fight began, I hid two of my spellcasters just to either side of the gate into his room so that Nociduas could only see my fighter and one caster at any given time. When it was someone's turn to attack, they swapped position with whichever caster was currently in line of sight with Nociduas. This made it reasonably possible to keep my party fully healed at all times. (Casting Slow on him also helps to reduce the number of attacks you'll have to take -- recast it if he uses a hasting potion.) After setting all that up, all I had to do was attack, heal when necessary, and pray that Nociduas didn't use a healing potion of his own.

In fact, abusing the line-of-sight algorithm in various ways is pretty much my strategy of choice for most things that my fighter has trouble dealing with on his own.

I beat the Testing Bones in a better way- I hasted my fighter, had the rest of my party flee and had the bones come to the fighter. Now, the bones lets off its ice spray at the beginning of its turn, so I would just have my hasted fighter get out of Dodge- he'd have so many AP that he could get out of the bones' melee *and* ice spray attack range. The bones never hit me with either attack, but since it "tried" to use the ice attack, it still counted as attacking me.

Victory.

For the Testing Bones, I did most of what TM did... haste the party, bless/shield the fighter, and have everyone else run for safety. But two words sum up the brilliant half of my evil plan: invulnerability potion. Give one or two to my fighter, and the Bones just keeps dishing out attacks which do no damage, which means I eventually pass.

EDIT: arghhhhhhhhh, your quotes are a bit messed up... you might want to try previewing your posts before you post them.

Seeing as I finished the game last time with more unopened bottles than a Mormon missionary in Munich, I think I may just chug the invulnerability potion. But the Haste option sounds as though, of all the tactics, it would feel least like cheating.

I struggled long and hard in the beta test trying to kill the Testing Bones, before eventually learning that I couldn't, and the goal was just to go the distance. I found them far worse than any of the other tests.

The common experience seems to be that people encounter single digit XP not terribly far into the game, no matter XP penalties. I'd like to hear from anyone with significant XP penalties on their PC's midways and late in the game, what kind of XP you are getting. Do they ever pick up again, or is it meager XP rewards for the rest of the game once you "catch up" to the curve?