A4 - Spellbooks and Arcane Lore-Dispel Barrier is AL 5

Randomizer

After days of running singletons around to different spellbooks, I have compiled the following list of spellbooks, locations, and arcane lore level needed to learn. For those of us running singletons, especially in torment mode, this means that Dispel Barrier is available at AL 5 (two levels bought and 7 skill points).

PC means piercing crystal required to reach spellbook

DB means dispel barrier required

AL Spell Location

3 Smite Fort Dunvo

3 Smite Mertis

4 Cure Poison Formello

4 Icy Rain Motrax Caves

4 Unlock Door Bandit Ruins (Hanvar)

5 Haste Hrickis

5 Daze Lord Bragg - PC

5 Enduring Shield Fort Dunvo and Reptile Island - Dragon

6 Lightning Spray Skunky Joe and Athron's Cave - PC

6 Minor Heal & Heal Bandit Ruins (Hanvar) - PC

6 Augmentation Eastern Gallery - NE Chitrach tunnels

8 Heal West Cotra - Potionary

8 Mass Healing Eastern Gallery - NW Chitrach tunnels after undead

8 Minor Summoning & Call Beast

Eastern Gallert - NW Chitrach tunnels after aranea

8 Repel Spirit, Animate Dead & Unshackle Mind

Nodiacus

8 Terror Bandit Keep - Honeycomb

8 Steel Skin Tower Colony - DB and key from Kelner

12 Prismatic Shield Fort Avernum

also at AL 12 I think another Prismatic Shield, Summon Aid, and Fireblast are available between the third box in Athron's Lair and behind DB barriers in Tower Colony.

It takes 18 skill points and two bought levels to reach AL 8

AL 3 means Arcane Lore 3 which costs 2 bought levels and one level trained with 2 skill points (or if you have the 7 points just train up). This is the total level needed in the party, so the cost is less if spread out over more than one person. I am sorry for the confusion.

If you are running a singleton, most people hold up on raising arcane lore since they think you need level 12 to get the all important Dispel Barrier. There are a lot of useful spells available for a singleton including Steel Skin that can be gotten before it can be bought,

I forgot to include a AL 8 Prismatic Shield that is available in Tower Colony in X's old office behind a dispel barrrier only barrier.

I left off some information about locations so people would have to do some work to find them.

After reading the whole post on running a singleton and how Synergy tried but forgot about Dispel Barrier only being obtainable from a spellbook, I wanted to try it myself. Playing in torment mode I finally reached the Tower Colony and got to the book. I was suprised that my Arcane Lore level 8 character could read it when level 12 is needed at Fort Avernum. So I got a different singleton that had completed the Eastern Gallery and ran him down through the demon encounter to find that AL 5 would work. Then I hunted through old files to find I had an AL 2 singleton that I could use. I finished the quest and trained him up until I could read the book and confirm that it was AL 5.

I spent several hours tracking down the minimum Arcane Lore level total for a party to read each spellbook, There is one book in Athron's Lair and two upperstairs in the Tower Colony near the demon's room that need between 9 and 12 to be read. It will

be a few more days before my party of four will have completed the Mertis Spiral and Tower Colony so I can find out what they are and their levels.

I am sorry for the misunderstanding, but I wrote this after a sleepless night of playing in order to get the information out to anyone wanting to try a singleton party. It doesn't pay to get Arcane Lore until the end of the Eastern Gallery. The best spells are Unlock Door, Minor Heal, Heal, and Lightning Spray.

Here is the update to the spellboks with the original message clarified. I haven't been able to find this info in the scripts, so I had to do it by reading each book when I find them.

For the total party Arcane Lore level you can read the following spellbooks. PC means a piercing crystal is needed for the barrier blocking access. DB means only Dispel Barrier will work.

Arcane Lore 3

Smite - Fort Draco under Hrnak's potion shop as reward for slaying hellhound.

Arcane Lore 4

Cure Poison - Forello upstairs in church

Icy Rain - Motrax's cave lower level in SE corner after defeating Kravit-Bok

Smite - Metris under church

Unlock Door - Bandit Ruins in Eastern Gallery upstairs NE corner after defeating Hanvar

Arcane Lore 5

Daze - Lord Bragg's goblin castle lower level E side behind barrier (PC)

Haste - Hrickis upper level after defeating him.

Enduring Shield - Fort Duvno upstairs in Walner's shop

Enduring Shield - Eastern Gallery under Reptile Island after defeating dragon

Dispel Barrier - Tower Colony upstairs above Kelner as reward for slaying demon

Arcane Lore 6

Minor Heal and Heal - Bandit Ruins in Eastern Gallery upstairs in NW corner above lizards (PC)

Lightning Spray - Skunky Joe's hideout in NE part of Eastern Gallery

Arcane Lore 8

Heal - West Cotra Potionary store in backroom

Mass Healing - Eastern Gallery Chitrach tunnels north of Fort Dranlon access and then east past cavewindow spiders and undead (PC)

Minor Summoning and Call Beast - Eastern Gallery Chitrach tunnels north of Fort Dranlon access and then west past Aranea and in NE corner

Repel Spirit, Summon Shade, and Unshackle Mind - Nodicuas beyond bedroom

Steel Skin - Tower Colony upstairs west staircase SE corner door after defeating demon to get key from Kelner (DB)

Terror - Bandit Keep in Honeycomb lower level north side after defeating bandits

Prismatic Shield - Tower Colony main level in X's ruined office (DB)

Lightning Spray and Mass Healing - Athron's Lair (PC) and Mertris Spiral quest completed

Arcane Lore 10

Mass Curing and Mass Healing - Tower Colony upper level west staircase NW corner beyond lost automation and slimes (DB)

Arcane 12

Prismatic Shield - Fort Avernum after getting Whispering Shard

Summon Aid - Athron's Lair (PC)

Fireblast - Tower Colony upper level west staircase in center near lost automaton and demon room

For singleton parties it is possible to get Arcane Lore up to level 8 in the Eastern Gallery without hurting your other abilities. It helps to buy two levels in either Formello or Cotra and then it only requires 18 more skill points.

About singletons and arcane lore. . .

(a bit of a cheat ahead)

When I run a singleton party, I don't train in arcane lore or nature lore. Instead, whenever I come across a spell book or dig site, I go to the "edit party" screen and create a new custom character. Then, I train the custom character in the appropriate skill for the situation. Once I've dug up the object or read the tome, I delete the new character and return to my singleton adventure. This way, I save a lot of points for more fun uses.

Cheap, yes. But also effective.

For even more fun, I do the same for tool use in the early parts of the game--or at least until "unlock doors" becomes necessary.

• 1 month later...

I've decided to update the list of spellbooks and revise it by location. A quick list of abbreviations and there meanings:

AL is the total party Arcane Lore obtained by adding up the individual character arcane lores. The minimum to read any spellbook is 3 and the maximum needed is 15 for the most advanced books.

PC means a piercing crystal is needed to remove the barrier to get to the spellbook.

DB means the Dispel Barrier spell is needed to remove the stronger barrier.

Some spellbooks are behind locked doors that will be opened as quest rewards. If you have high enough tool use and/or unlock doors spell you maybe able to get to the book without doing the quest.

This list will be updated by edit to improve the information about locations, Most of the information was obtained from scripts.

Fort Draco

Smite - AL 3 -under Hrnak's potion shop as reward for slaying hellhound.

Formello

Cure Poison - AL 4 - upstairs in church

Motrax's Cave

Icy Rain - AL 4 - lower level in SE corner after defeating Kravvit-Bok

Hrickis

Haste - AL 5 - upper level after defeating him.

Bandit Ruins in Eastern Gallery

Unlock Door - AL 4 - upstairs NE corner after defeating Hanvar

Minor Heal and Heal - AL 6 - upstairs in NW corner above lizards (PC)

Fort Duvno

Enduring Shield - AL 5- upstairs in Walner's shop

Lord Bragg's goblin castle

Daze - AL 5 - lower level E side behind barrier (PC)

Eastern Gallery under Reptile

Enduring Shield -AL 5 - after defeating dragon

Skunky Joe's hideout in NE part of Eastern Gallery

Lightning Spray - AL 6

West Cotra Potionary store

Heal - AL 8 - in backroom

Eastern Gallery Chitrach tunnels

Mass Healing - AL 8 - north of Fort Dranlon access and then east past cavewindow spiders and undead (PC)

Minor Summoning and Call Beast - AL 8 - north of Fort Dranlon access and then west past Aranea and in NE corner

Nodicuas

Repel Spirit, Summon Shade, and Unshackle Mind - AL 8 - beyond bedroom

Fort Avernum

Prismatic Shield - AL 12 - lower level

Metris

Smite - AL4 - under church

Honeycomb - Bandit Keep

Terror - AL 8 - lower level north side after defeating bandits

Athron's Lair - PC needed to enter lair and key from Sleater for difficulty 28 lock. Must defeat dragon's demon

Lightning Spray and Mass Healing - AL 8

Summon Aid - AL 10

Tower Colony

Dispel Barrier - AL 5 - upstairs above and east of Kelner as reward for slaying demon

Prismatic Shield - AL 8 - X's old office on main level in SE part of ruins (DB)

Steel Skin - AL 8 - upstairs west staircase SE corner door after defeating demon to get key from Kelner (DB)

Mass Curing and Mass Healing - AL 10 - upper level west staircase NW corner beyond lost automation and slimes (DB)

Fireblast - AL 12 - upper level west staircase in center near lost automaton and demon room after defeating demon to get key from Kelner

Sulfurous Flats

Haste and Slow - AL 8 - near entrance to Vahnatai area (DB)

Great Cave

Terror - AL 5 - eastern side of cave, SE corner beyond shard arachnia

Castle - upstairs in the NW as rewards for parts of the Shade quest

Arcane Summons - AL 10 - difficulty 32 door

Divine Retribution - AL 12 - difficulty 30 door

Arcane Shield - AL 15 - diffiulty 36 door

Almaria under church

War Blessing and Protection - AL 3

Repel Spirit and Smite - AL 5

Great Cave - Randolph Halfbreed

Heal - AL 4

Great Cave - near Patrick's Tower below and east

Terror - AL 6 - defeat demon Icelord

Patrick's Tower

Fireblast - AL 6 - SE corner, left room behind difficulty 40 door as reward for defeating Lord Bharlon for Solberg

Control Foe - AL 7 - SE corner, right room behind difficulty 40 door as reward for returning 5 stolen books to Rita

Enduring Armor - AL 8 - Center behind difficulty 35 door

Haste and Slow - AL 9 - SE corner, center room behind difficulty 20 door

Unlock Doors - AL 10 - Center (DB)

War Blessing and Protection - AL 11 - NW corner

Slith Land northwest of the Castle through the Chitrach tunnels

Enduring Armor - AL 12 - east part of city (DB)

Memorial Lands - mage tomb past traps on lower level

Minor Summoning and Summom Aid - AL 5

Control Foes - AL 8

Blosk

Curing and Mass Curing - AL 6 - SW corner

Fort Saffron

Prismatic Shield and Augmentation - AL 8 - West side (DB)

Dharmon

Divine Fire - AL 10 - above the church

Beyond Fort Remote in the Western Wastes

For the third map section from Fort Remote on the upper level

Icy Rain and Lightning Spray - AL 8 - south part of westside behind 3 adjacent pylons

Smite and Divine Fire - AL 11 - a little farther north and towards the center

For the fourth map section from Fort Remote

Unshackle Mind and Control Foe - AL 9 - lower level along the west side in the center

Daze and Strong Daze - AL 12 - lower level NW where sentry lizards roam behind a difficulty 40 door

Rentar-Ihrno's Basalt Fortress

Divine Retribution - AL 12 - entrance level east side center (DB)

Divine Host - AL 13 - entrance level eastern part in center

Arcane Blow - AL 14 - lower level S center (DB)

Bargha

Arcane Summoning - AL 12 - SW corner in Gladwell's shop, (DB) will be removed if you feed Gladwell's slimes for him

Harston

Dispel Barrier - AL 14 - lower level south area (DB) ironically you need dispel barrier to get it. PC will not work.

Erika's old tower

Divine Restoration - AL 12 - upper level near lich (DB)

Arcane Summon - AL13 - lower level (DB)

Darkside Lair near Fort Saffron

Strong Daze and Control Foe - AL 10 - south center (DB)

Khoth's Lair - lower level

Divine Retribution - AL 13 - NW corner

Arcane Blow - AL 14 - NW near center

Divine Host - AL 15 - center

Fort Monastary - Lark's quarters after finishing quest

Arcane Shield and Divine Retribution

Rentar-Ihrno's Final Keep

Arcane Shield - AL 9 - (DB) west side center

Divine Restoration - AL 9 - difficulty 17 door north side center

Arcane Blow - AL 10 - SW corner behind Garzhad

Divine Host - AL 11 - SE corner with Fiery demon

• 17 years later...