Hunting Tolliver help

Silver Shadow

I have done a stupid. Shame on me.

So, couple questions.

I've found the main entrance with the apparently übertraps, and I didn't want to blow my characters to smithereens (I'm rather fond of my party). So the question is, how high must your tool use be to deactivate those traps.

Secondly, Commander Anford (in Fort Draco) said there was an escape tunnel that led to the spot where the guy was hidden. It was supposably free of traps because Tolliver didn't know it existed. So where is this tunnel?

Thanks, folks.

The traps aren't unreasonable. I don't know how difficult they are because I've never had any trouble disarming them when I reached them. Perhaps they're in the 8-10 Tool Use range.

The secret tunnel can be accessed from a corner of Fort Draco. The southwest corner, I think.

—Alorael, who was always disappointed by the tunnel because it serves no real purpose if you have sufficient Tool Use. You get no advantage from creeping up behind Tolliver.

I think it's poison, but yes, that's the gist of the effect. Those globes reappear in several other places too.

—Alorael, who is pretty sure the globe use is set to trigger on the beginning of a round in which Tolliver has below a certain percentage of his health. Most of the special combat scripts seem to do that.

Anyway, the secret passage begins in Fort Draco. If you don't know where they are, just ask the commander. (I'm not sure if you need to have completed the undead mission first, though.) Or alternatively, visit the mad Hedge Wizard east of Ft. Draco and use the trap door under his house and go east.

I've said this elsewhere, but Tool Use of 8 is ideal to start one PC with, because it enables you to break into Lark's room in Fort Monastery to read his scrolls and—even better—to break into the storeroom under the fort right at the beginning and get that wand and shield ring offered later as a reward.

Down south at Grindstone downstairs below one hut, there is a lot of stored loot to be had, but the last two traps are levels 9 & 10, so it's good to use your thief's first two promotions to get him up to level 10 Tool Use to get at it while you are in the area. There's something fairly precious behind Trap Level 10, and there are actually two of those precious things there. You will be happy to use your five-finger discount to make them yours.

By the time you make it to Formello, you will want your Tool Use up to nearly 15, if for no other reason than you can rob richman Giscard of the very nice prize upstairs in his house without triggering a very nasty trap, as well as rob the Formello treasury upstairs from the mayor for some very good coinage and loot. These are all very worthwhile involuntary donations to your worthy cause, so keeping your Tool Use up to the task of ulocking the generosity of others is easier than trying to remember to come back later. After hitting level 15, you never really need to raise it again, especially if your thief is also a mage, like mine.

Stealing quest rewards before completing quests isn't really necessary, and Lark opens the door for you when you get the quest. Otherwise I agree. Tool Use is useful.

—Alorael, whose discount became four-fingered after an early accident with a trap that turned out more difficult than he was expecting.

Quote:
Originally written by Synergy:
Down south at Grindstone downstairs below one hut, there is a lot of stored loot to be had, but the last two traps are levels 9 & 10, so it's good to use your thief's first two promotions to get him up to level 10 Tool Use to get at it while you are in the area. There's something fairly precious behind Trap Level 10, and there are actually two of those precious things there. You will be happy to use your five-finger discount to make them yours.
Those are fairly easy to get by, even if you don't have the Tool Use needed to disarm them. Go into combat mode, and have all but one PC run away. Then, send the last unfortunate soul over the trap to trigger it (the ones under Grindstone only do damage, no alarms), and voila! You grab the treasure and run out to be revived.