A4 - Piercing Crystals?

FesteDC

I'm operating off of heresay here, but I believe that caches are a good source of piercing crystals, if you have the nature lore to find them.

It's also not a bad strategy to save before you use a piercing crystal and see what's on the other side. If it's nothing really important, reload to before you used the crystal and come back to the barrier after you know the dispel barrier spell.

Dikiyoba.

There are only a few barriers in the early part of the game that need dispel barrier: Fort Dranlon prison and in the Honeycomb. There should be enough piercing crystals available to be found or bought to deal with all the others before the Tower Colony. There is one in a cache along the lizard shore west of the Nephil Lands.

Repeated use of piercing crystals is supposed to bring down the stronger barriers, but I never tried it and you should always save the game before trying.

Doing a quick search of my FAQ (ctrl+F and "piercing"), and there are lots of piercing crystals in Grindstone (~5), one in a swampy shore cache, one from Giscard, SE of Formello, some in the eastern gallery, Mertis, the honeycomb, and the southeastern road. Beyond that you should get the spell and will no longer need any crystals.