Lark's Scrolls [spoiler]

Hello all,

I'm feeling a little stupid to ask but i think that something strange happening in my Translate de Scrolls Quest.

I've cleaned up Khoth's Ruins, read the book that allows me to translate the damn scrolls, so I head back to Fort Monastery. When I talk with Lark, a new dialogue option is available: "I've been in Khoth Ruins blabla and now I know how translate the scrolls."

Okay. Then, I choose it, and Lark answers: "So do it, the curiosity is killing me [sigh]!"

And... Nothing happens. In fact, my party knows how translate them but I don't.

The quest still stands in my quest journal, I don't know what i need to do to really translate them.

Now, I hate Lark. Hate the scrolls, and hate Fort Monastery 'cause I'm spinning around my own slith tail and can't complete the quest to get more levels of some spell – the game tells me that a part of a spell... so...

H-E-L-P M-E!

Thanks everybody,

Klintor.

Okay. I dont remember where are the scrolls.

But i will search in FM when i'm in home (job, damn job)...

To say the truth, I think that if I have a copy of them, WHY, for God sake, I can't translate the copy, only the originals?

Jeff anf his pratical jokes...

Now, I'm hating a little less Lark.

Sliths Hailssss to all, and thanksss.

Klintor.

Quote:
Originally written by Klintor Tazzankah:
To say the truth, I think that if I have a copy of them, WHY, for God sake, I can't translate the copy, only the originals?
If you remember how that encounter actually went (and I don't blame you for not doing so; it was at the very beginning of the game, after all), you only took a copy of a portion of the scrolls with you. Presumably there are quite a lot of scrolls there, too many for you to copy in a reasonable length of time.

The scrolls themselves are in a box in a storeroom in the northwest corner of Fort Monastery.

Well, when i arrived home and finally found Lark's House, i've notice in the dialogue box that yes, i'm just got a part of the scrolls...

Sorry sorry, the plot is ever well tied up.

Avernum is really the best RPG ever (after Exile)!

I'm now glad to increase some Priest and Mage spells, I dont think that Khoth's Ruins was very hard, in fact i've cleaned up the map too fast for my taste, but the prize was good, really good.

And now, Rentar's Keep...

Thankssss all.

Klintor.

Sorry; the previous two posts were made while I was typing my reply.

There is a way past all the pylons without fighting any. Hug the walls, and turn back and try another route if a pylon sees you and initiates combat mode. You should be able to find a way through without entering combat mode, although you can always kill one or two (or run past them while hasted) if you get stuck.

oops. A lot of posts while writing reply... Also realized we got off topic. Sorry!

Quote:
Originally written by Small Fry:

Is there a easy way to get past pylon city. {the place guarding her keep, I suspect}

There's no truly easy way. However, you can slip past a lot of them moving your party in combat mode and not trying to kill them all. By my 3rd time through this that's what I did and used cheat "backtostart" so I wouldn't have to go back the same way. At Fort Monastery you can go to The Castle and report to Rone first I think, but definately see King Starrus.

I still say blast all the pylons. You have to go back to Fort Remote to recharge every few pylons, but the treasure is about 3000 for just the crystals. Once you complete it you can pass through each area without going into combat mode with a few mouse clicks to reposition your destination each time.

I could go from Fort Remote to R-I's place in under a minute when it came time to take the place.

After R-I flees the pylons go neutral and you can pass them freely.

Or you can play the sneaky game and get into Rentar-Ihrno's fortress without disturbing a single pylon.

—Alorael, who did happen to disturb a few pylons with that incredibly irritating stairway into the middle of a pylon cluster. That just led to a throwing up of hands and a reloading of previous saves.

The trick to killing pylons from outside their range is simple enough. Deal more damage than they can heal. You'll burn through a lot of energy doing it, but it works.

—Alorael, who doesn't have the patience for it. Hence the sneaking. Besides, after Jeff went to the effort to put in a challenge besides killing everything that moves, isn't it only polite to not kill everything that moves. (Pylons don't move, but the idea holds.)

• 1 year later...

While still on the pylons thing, I like to summon shades which attack the pylons for me, while I hang out of their range and pelt them with arrows / javelins /spells. With the shades attacking the pylons can't heal themselves.

You get through a few shades, but then hey, what's a few shades between friends eh?